Chapter-9

Sabrina stopped the car and looked at me.

"So, you just have to walk over the hill there and you will find a huge manor. That's Ethan's house. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Sabrina. You've told me this like a million times."

"If you notice anything suspicious, call me first. Okay? And if I don't hear from you in two hours, I am calling the police."

"Sabrina, I got this."

"I wish I was coming with you but I have got to work."

"Thanks for helping out," I said, giving her a hug and climbing out of the car.

"Be careful," she called out, driving away.

I shook my head. Sabrina was being way too suspicious. I sighed and began climbing up the steep hill. It was too dark to see anything clearly, but it seemed like the hill was covered with trees and plants. A stone path was leading up the hill and was covered in moss. It was a little difficult to manoeuvre my way around in heels but I managed somehow.

After what seemed like hours but were probably minutes, the path ended abruptly. I bent over, feeling exhausted from the climb. At least it had helped me warm up a little for the wind was icy. I leaned against the magnificent black gates and looked at the house.

It was huge with turrets jutting out of the walls like an old castle. It was too dark to make out anything else. I hunted around for the doorbell with my phone's flashlight and found it under a plaque which said 'Burmonte's' in an elegant hand. With a start, I realised I didn't even know Ethan's full name. Putting my phone back in my pocket, I rang the doorbell. It was just five minutes after eight which meant I had managed to reach in good time.

I stood there for about a minute and was considering ringing the doorbell again, when Ethan opened the door, looking a little surprised to see me.

"You came!" he said, raising his eyebrows. "I was honestly not expecting it."

"I told you I would," I said as he closed the door behind me. "Where's your sister?"

"Inside," he said. "You should have told me you are coming- I would have come to pick you up. It's not safe around here after dark."

"I didn't have your number or your sister's," I said.

He leaned forwards and took my phone out of my pocket.

"Well now you have it," he said, handing me back my phone.

I wordlessly took it back staring at him. He was wearing all black like the last time I had seen him and his eyes were as startling as ever. It was easy to lose myself in them. His midnight-black hair was as luscious and thick as ever.

He cleared his throat and with a start, I realised I was staring. To my horror, I felt myself blush. I was saved from saying anything by Elara's sudden arrival.

"Adriana, you came!" she said, sounding delighted. "You came! Oh, I am so glad to see you! Please, do come in."

I followed her through the huge hall, looking around. The floor and ceilings had expensive-looking dark wood panelling. Paintings and artwork covered the walls. I wanted to stop and admire them but Elara was walking too quickly.

We entered the dining room which was covered with a gorgeous long table with four chairs pulled out. Chandeliers hung on the wall casting a soft glow about the room. Exquisite looking candle stands were kept on the table devoid of any candles. The room might have been called old-fashioned by some people but it felt perfect to me. I was still looking around when I noticed Ethan was no longer with us. Elara was standing next to me, saying something. With a start, I realised I had been completely zoning her out.

"...Dad will be there soon. Do you want a house tour till then?"

"Oh, I would love that."

We went over the whole house. There were three floors in total. Second floor had a huge library, guest room and a lot of empty rooms. The bedrooms were on the third floor. Elara showed me hers which was lavender themed and really pretty. She stopped outside a closed door and raised her eyebrows at me. I could hear someone shouting inside- Ethan. She knocked and called him out for dinner. He emerged after a few minutes, looking angry.

"Girlfriend troubles," Elara whispered. I just nodded.

"I can hear you, you know," he muttered, giving her a dark look.

We were about to head down for dinner when I spotted a door we hadn't gone in.

"Hey, we missed that..."

"That's my mother's room." snapped Ethan.

"Oh, I didn't know that. I am sorry." I said, biting my lip. I felt a little hurt. I knew he was mad about something else but I felt bad he had snapped at me.

Elara gave him a hard look and took us down to dinner. We sat silently for a few minutes, waiting for Mr Burmonte. I felt my good mood slipping away. I didn't know why was I so bothered with Ethan's rudeness and I didn't like it at all.

"Welcome, welcome." said a deep voice, startling me. I was so lost in my thoughts, I hadn't seen Rufus Burmonte enter the room. He was tall with the same dark hair and blue eyes as Elara. He seemed to be in his forties and looked pleasant. He also had a little scar on his chin, almost invisible.

"So pleased to meet you Mr Burmonte," I said politely as a cook started serving dinner. There was too much food and the Burmontes ate little. I helped myself but found that I had little appetite. Rufus talked a lot with Elara chiming in at times but Ethan kept mostly silent. I tried not to let that fact bother me but it did.

About halfway through dinner, I felt my phone buzzing. Stealing a glance at it, I realised it was Sabrina. Pressing ignore, I helped myself to some bread. It would have looked rude to answer it in the middle of dinner. To my surprise, she kept calling. I tried my best to ignore it but after the tenth call, I'd had enough.

"Excuse me, where's the bathroom?" I asked Mr Burmonte, interrupting him.

"Second door on the right," he said, sounding surprised.

I made my way to the bathroom nearly tripping on my heels. Shutting the door, I answered the call.

"What is it?" I whispered. "It's not even been two hours yet!"

"Adriana," she said, sounding frantic. "Sharon's gone missing!"