Chapter 16

I rolled over the next morning with a thousand thoughts running through my head. I don't even know what to do or who to trust anymore. 

My thoughts were interrupted with a light knock on the door. 

"Hey, its me, can I come in?" Nate was standing at the door. 

"If you must" 

"Come on, don't be like that" he started walking towards the bed. I ignored him when he sat down and place his hand on my leg over the blanket I still had covering my body. 

"I took Jared to school, I didn't want to wake you" 

I franticly looked at the clock and saw it was now 9am. 

"What?? How did my alarm not ring?! Don't ever take my brother somewhere without my permission" I sprung up, covering my bare body while looking for a shirt.

"It's not like I haven't seen you naked before Kathy" Nate said slyly. "And you have got to stop acting like I'm this monster thats here to hurt you". 

"You could be for all I know. You don't tell me anything and I find out my father, Who has almost beat me to DEATH on multiple occasions is now paying you for something"

I stormed out of the bedroom and entered the kitchen for some water. 

"Babe-"

"Don't you dare call me that" I cut him off and turned to look at him with tears building in my eyes. 

His look softened as he stared back at me. He looked sad, and regretful. He almost looked like I could trust him but I know I couldn't. 

"Kathy, please can we sit down and talk?" He pleaded with me.

"Fine." I sat down at the kitchen table next to him. "Go ahead. Talk". 

He heavy sighed clearly not liking my tone but I honestly didn't give a fuck what he liked right now. He's lying to me and potentially putting my brother and I in danger. Until I got some answers, nice and innocent Kathy is gone. 

"I told you I can't tell you everything right now. All you need to know is that your dad found out who I was after the hospital visit. His insurance billed him for the visit and he called the hospital and got my information from them."

I sat there looking unamused because how do I even know he's telling me the truth right now?

"He contacted me and I tried to deny everything but he wouldn't buy it. He offered to pay me to keep you here so he wouldn't have to deal with you and Jared anymore. He said if I did anything to tip off the police or child protective services then he would find us and kill us all." 

I wasn't surprised at that last threat. My father has threatened my life many times before and I have no doubt in my mind that with the right mix of alcohol in his system he would do it. 

"I didn't know  what to do. I didn't want him finding us and hurting you if I declined his money, and quite honestly I need the income, as you saw in the alley the other night. So I said yes."

I looked down at my hands and fidgeted with my fingers trying not to let the tears that were building up fall. Nate brought his hand up and intertwined our fingers. 

"I'm sorry I lied to you but you have to know that I would never do anything to intentionally hurt you Kathy, or your brother Jared. I'm trying to keep you safe. I love you."

Those last three words caused an eruption of butterflies in my stomach I didn't even know could happen. I haven't had anyone say those words to me in my whole life. My parents sure as hell never told me they loved me. The only person that does is Jared. 

"What?" I said in shock as I looked over and connected gazes with him. 

"I love you." He said again not breaking eye contact. He was never afraid to stare into my soul. He brought one of his hands up to the side of my face and held my cheek. I closed my eyes and leaned my head into his hand and a tear fell. 

"Please don't cry baby" 

"I'm sorry, its just- no one has ever said that to me before other than Jared" Nate wiped the one tear that fell off my cheek. "I'm just scared Nate. I'm scared of my dad, I'm scared of those people that are after you, I'm scared of how much I care for you, I'm just scared all the time". 

"Things will get better I promise. But you have to trust me and know that I would never do anything to hurt you. Okay?"

I nodded my head. 

He leaned in and connected our lips. It was soft and gentle. I craved everything about him. He was the only thing that made me feel like home. 

I just hope I'm not making a mistake by trusting him.