Chapter 14

I suck and have been MIA you may want to go back and reread previous chapter :)

I woke up the next morning to the smell of breakfast cooking in the kitchen and rolled over to see an empty bed. 

I got up and went to the bathroom to do my morning routine as flashbacks of last night entered my mind. It's one thing if Nate is selling drugs or getting into that kind of thing but its another thing if he's in trouble with money for the drugs. Those guys had a gun and definitely didn't seem afraid to use it. 

I shook the thoughts out of my mind as Nate told me to do and went into the kitchen. 

"Morning beautiful" He smiled as he finished putting the last pancake on the plate. 

"I made you breakfast" His dimples came out as he smiled over at me like he was proud of his accomplishment. 

I looked down and saw the slightly burned pancakes but admired his attempt.

"Thanks Nate" I smiled back as I sat down to eat. 

We ate in silence, both knowing the tension in the room was because of last nights events. 

"Are you okay?" Nate asked breaking the silence. 

I nodded and continued playing with the food on my plate. 

He heavy sighed knowing I wasn't okay. 

"Look Kathy, I'm sorry that scared you but its just something I'm dealing with right now. I can handle it you just have to trust me"

I looked up at him and his eyes told me he was telling me the truth. As much as I didn't want him to be associated with those people, I wasn't in a place to control that. 

"Okay" I put on a fake smile mostly because I could tell he didn't want to argue about it anymore right now. 

I finished breakfast and went to take a shower. 

The day was pretty silent. Nate and I really haven't spoken much but I decided to go pick up Jared from his friends alone just to blow off some steam. I grabbed the key to the apartment and put my jacket on. 

"Where are you going?" Nate's voice echoed from the living room. 

"To pick up Jared" I answered shortly. 

"Okay... Be careful" He said softly. I nodded my head and went to turn to leave. 

"I- uhm.... I may not be here when you get back but I shouldn't be home too late" He stuttered out. 

I stood there facing the door with my back to him. A heavy sigh left my lips and I opened the door and left without another word. I wasn't going to sit there and act like I was okay with this whole thing. I know leaving without answering wasn't the most mature thing but I just couldn't find the words to respond. 

I took in the fresh air on my walk over to Jared's friends house. Just letting all my worries escape and try to calm down. I know Nate wouldn't put us in danger but I mean I still obviously don't know everything about him and thats scary. 

"Hey buddy!" I said as he came running out of his friends house. 

I said goodbyes to his friends mom and we started walking home as the sun began setting. 

"Did you have fun?" I asked

"Yeah, Kathy can I play video games with Nate when we get home?"

"I don't think Nate is going to be home when we get back bud... maybe tomorrow okay?"

"Okay" He whined as we turned onto our street. 

We got back and I put Jared to bed considering it was late at this point. Nate wasn't home as expected. 

I changed into an oversized tshirt with some high socks and went into the living room with some ice cream to wait for Nate to come home. Sure I wasn't happy with him going to meet those people but I still felt the need to make sure he got home okay. 

I must have dozed off because Igot woken up by a phone ringing... not mine tho. It was Nate's phone and it was coming from the kitchen... odd because Nate wasn't home yet.

I went into the kitchen to look at who called him getting nervous that something bad happened to him. 

I picked the phone up and looked at the screen to see a notification of a missed call and voicemail. But that wasn't the weird part of it all. 

The number on the screen was all too familiar. 

It was my dad's.

Shaken and confused I slide the screen to unlock the phone and luckily there wasn't a pass code. I went to the voicemail and hesitated to press play in fear of everything my dad has put me through. How did he have Nate's phone  number..  how did he find me? What was he planning on doing now?

I reluctantly pressed play.

"Nate, I have your next payment. Come by tomorrow at 8" 

And the line ended. 

What the fuck is going on?