Chapter 1

"I told you not to touch the bank account this week Jake!"

"Fuck you bitch, You can't tell me what to do!"

I laid back onto my bed hearing the muffled yells of my parents which was all so familiar to me. They fight almost every night. It's nothing new. This week its about money, last week it was about my father's drinking problem, the week before that it was about my cheating mother.

My names Katherine. Call me by my full name and I'll probably hate you. I go by Kathy. I'm 20 years old and searching for myself. I'm not like other girls. I've never had it easy. All through High School I was the loner, depressed or invisible girl. I liked it that way though. Seeing the fake ass girls around me every day made me sick. I graduated and decided against college. Don't get me wrong I would have loved to move away from home, start over, a new chance at life. I just have never had the money to afford that and my parents sure as hell weren't going to help me pay for it.

I have a younger brother named Jared. He's only 10 and the only reason I'm still living in this hell hole I call home is because of him. I'm more of a mother figure to him. He's the one thing that keeps me going.

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!" My mother's voice raised from the kitchen.

I heavy sighed got up from my bed grabbing my hoodie and opening my draw to grab my bag and closing it quietly to not disturb the screaming match downstairs.

I snuck out of my room and crept down the hallway to Jared's room opening the door to see him laying in bed with his head phones on and eyes closed.

I walked over and knelt beside his bed lightly tapping him making his eyes flutter open.

"Kathy where are you going?" He asked worriedly as he saw my hoodie on.

"I'll be back soon okay bud? I want you to stay in here. Keep your headphones on loud. I'll lock the door with our special lock okay?" I asked him with a small smile. I changed the locks on his bedroom door for when I'm not home and my parents were like this.

He slowly nodded and I could see the fear in his eyes.

"You'll be fine okay? I won't be home late and I'll come sleep in here tonight okay?"

"Promise?" He asked sticking out his pinky

"Promise!" I said intertwining our pinkies and kissing his forehead. I slipped out his door and locked it behind me slowing walking into the upstairs bathroom.

Opening the window I held my plastic baggy in my mouth as I climbed down the vines on the side of our house finally making it down to the ground.

Inhaling the crisp fall air I finally calmed down a little. I made my way to the place I go almost every night to escape the reality of what my life is. It's a public park in my town that no one uses after sunset.

I made my way up to my usual bench that over looked an open field with many other benches surrounding me but all spread out.

Taking my baggy out of my hoodie pocket I broke up the nug of weed I had left and placed it into the blunt licking it to seal it. Taking my lighter out I sparked up the drugs and inhaled deeply exhaling what felt like all the problems I had.

I started smoking in high school. Don't get me wrong I'm not some sort of pot head that needs to be stoned every second of every day. It's just my escape from reality when things get rough. Usually at night, when I wanna let go occasionally.

I inhaled a few more times as the warm, tingly feeling started taking over my body. I tilted my head back blowing my last hit into the air but admiring the stars as I did so. Everything was so much more peaceful out here at night. It was like I was in my own world. No one could touch me, hurt me, judge me. It was just me and the earth. At least that's what I thought until I glanced over to the bench a few yards away from me and saw a dark shadow sitting there.

I squinted my eyes trying to focus on who it was. I've come here almost every night since I graduated high school about 3 years ago and I have never seen anyone here.

I should feel a little nervous or hesitant but the weed took care of that for me. I was carefree. In my world no one could hurt me right now.

I decided to let them be and head back home to be with Jared.

Although on my way home I couldn't help but wonder who that dark shadow belonged to.

------------------------------------