Chapter 6

"Favorite color?" 

"Blue" He answered with a small smile. 

"Favorite food?" 

"French friesss" I threw my head back at the thought of food. 

Nate and I had come to the park for the past two days and each time we spoke more. We never spoke about the kiss and it hasn't happened again but I like his company. For some reason I feel like I can just connect with him. Right now were playing 20 questions on the same bench we've sat at every time we've come to the park.

"Now I'm starving" I whined throwing my head back. 

He chuckled at me. 

"Wanna get food?" 

I whipped my head around and nodded eagerly, we both had the munchies right now. 

He stood up and starting walking so I followed his actions.

"Where are we going?" I asked in confusion because the only food place I know was in the other direction.

"Just follow me" He said so I continued on next to him. It was pitch black outside with barely any light from the moon tonight and it was close to one in the morning. 

We continued walking along foreign streets to me and each time we turned down one, it was more isolated. 

"Uhm... Nate?"

"Hmm?"

"Are we almost there I have no idea where we are right now" I said hesitantly. I mean I still really didn't know him. He could be leading me to my own death. 

"Do you trust me?"

I thought about it for a minute. 

"Well I thought I did... but these streets are a little serial killer-like." 

He chuckled and stopped walking and turned to look at me. I smiled at him and he mirrored my actions.

"I would never let someone hurt you Kathy" He said looking into my eyes. Butterflies erupted in my stomach and I just smiled and nodded my head. 

He turned and continued walking and my stomach growled unusually loud. I put my hand on my stomach and blushed when I realized Nate heard it. 

"You really are hungry aren't you?" He laughed which only made my cheeks more pink. 

"Good thing we're here" He said pointing to a tiny little diner in the middle of nowhere. Not going to lie, it was pretty sketchy. The lights for the sign were flickering and the R in Morgan's was out so the sign read Mo gan's Diner in the dark. 

There was no one inside and I don't know if that was because it was one in the morning or because the food likely gave everyone food poisoning that came in there. 

I guess Nate could read the look on my face because he grabbed my hand and pulled me in.

"Don't worry I've been here a few times before. It's good" He smirked as we sat down at a small table. 

"Stay here I'll be right back" He said to me.

"Wait!Where are you going?!" I asked hurriedly not wanting him to leave me alone in this place.

"Hey GRAMS!?" He yelled walking over to the counter. Grams? I thought to myself. 

Suddenly an older women who looked to be in her 80s came wobbling out. Her white hair was pulled back in a clip and she wore huge glasses. 

"Oh my, is that my Nathan?" She said shakily coming around the corner to greet him. 

"Hi grams" He said pulling her into a hug. I smiled at how cute this picture was. 

"I haven't seen you in so long Nathan, what have you been doing that your too busy to visit your old grandma?"

Nate chuckled and ran his hand through his curly hair. "Sorry Grams, I've been dealing with a lot lately" 

"Well come on sit down and tell me what you want to eat and- ah who's this beautiful young lady?" She said as her gaze finally wandered over to me. 

I stood up and walked over to her. 

"Hi I'm Kathy" I said reached out my hand to shake hers.

"Oh my! Nathan never brings girls around here, gimme a hug darling!" She said pulling me into a warm hug. I smiled at the feeling due the fact that I never really get to experience hugs. 

Nate blushed slightly at his grandma's words.

"He must really like you." She whispered a little to loud in my ear. I giggled as Nate got even redder. 

"Grams come on I heard that!" He whined. 

"Alright you two, sit, sit, what do you want to eat?" She shooed us into a booth and pulled out her paper and a pen. 

"You know what I want" Nate smiled at her as she wrote down something on her paper. 

"3 pancakes, two eggs sunny side up, hash browns and 2 sausages" She recited and my mouth dropped at the amount of food.

"What would you like sweetheart" She looked at me and I looked at Nate who was already staring back. I smiled and squinted my eyes.

"I'll have the same" I said never once taking my eyes from Nate. His mouth playfully dropped at me and his grandma chuckled and turned to go make the food. 

"You sure you can keep up with my eating habits?" He smirked at me. 

"Dont underestimate me Nathan" I smiled back. 

"Oh god, don't you start calling me that too now" He rolled his eyes. 

"I think it's cuteeee" I mocked 

"Yeah yeah yeah" He said smiling. 

Eventually our food came and we dug in. Of course I couldn't even come close to finishing all the food that Nate did. And I'll probably never live it down with him. 

"Alright see ya grams we gotta get going" He said pulling her into a hug. 

"You get her home safe, and come visit your old grams more often okay?" She said to him and he nodded in response. 

She then pulled me into a warm hug.

"Thank you for everything, it was so nice to meet you" I said to her.

"You know, I like you Kathy, I think you will be good for my Nathan. Keep him out of trouble" She smiled at me. I smiled in response and Nate put his hand at the small of my back over my hoodie to guide me out of the restaurant.