Chapter 13

Nate grabbed his jacket and keys and slammed the door behind him. Now, a normal person would've just listened to him and stayed at home locking the door and doing what he said. 

Me on the other hand, I don't follow many rules. I quickly jumped out of bed throwing on the first pair of clothing I saw and slipped on my boots slowly opening the door seeing Nate disappear into the staircase. 

I locked the door behind me and jogged to the staircase peeking down making sure he was far enough ahead of me to not get caught. 

I crept down the stairs quietly making sure to keep him in view from a comfortable distance. I needed to know what he was doing. If he's seeing someone else I'm not going to continue to live with him. I mean yeah technically we're not official yet but I won't be disrespected. 

I shivered as the cold air hit my skin and scanned the streets for Nate. I was lucky enough to catch him turning down a street about two blocks ahead of me. 

I picked up my pace keeping my eyes focused on his movements from afar. These streets were only semi familiar to me. Not anything like the streets by where I live which I know like the back of my hand. 

He turned down what looked like a small alley way and I slowly followed growing more skeptical with every step. The street lights ended a while back and I couldn't find my way home if you paid me at this point. 

I turned down the same alley way and he was no where to be found. Shit. I started panicking looking around and listening for any source of human life. 

I turned down a random street and luckily started hearing voices. 

"I told you by midnight tonight" I harsh voice growled. 

"I know. Something came up, I'll have it by friday" Nate's voice rang. 

"No. That's unacceptable. What do you think this is?" The deep voice echoed off of the brick walls surrounding them. 

"I know bro. This is the last time I'll be late I promise you, I got income now." Nate answered sounding slightly shaken up. 

I finally got the courage to peek behind the wall. I tall figure stood there in a hooded sweatshirt holding a gun to Nate's back. I gasped and brought my hand up to my mouth hiding back behind the wall. 

"The fuck was that? Who's there?!" The voice boomed. My heart dropped to my stomach and I debated sprinting away but knew he might shoot at me. I held my breath in silence as I heard footsteps approaching the wall I was ducked behind. 

"I just came to tell you that from now on everything will be on time. This job is high paying and I'll have the money I owe you by friday" Nate rambled making the footsteps stop. 

"You better Skate. This shit ain't a joke. Your life is mine if you make me wait longer than friday" The voice threatened sending shivers down my spine. 

I finally heard footsteps walking away down the alley way and towards the streets making me release the breath I was holding that entire time. 

"Kathy what the fuck are you doing here!?" Nate yelled making me jump almost 5 feet in the air. I looked up at him since I was now sitting on the cold concrete ground. 

"I-I-" I could spit out any words. Tears were welling up in my eyes from fear, confusion and guilt for following him. 

"Come on" He said coldly looking around for any remnants of human life. 

I slowly got up and followed behind him without a word. 

We walked in silence or should I say jog since I was basically jogging to keep up with Nate's angered pace. 

We got back to his apartment and he unlocked the door letting me follow into the living room. He slammed the door making me jump yet again. 

"What were you fucking thinking?!" He raised his voice pacing the living room as I sat on the couch.

"I don't know" I said in almost above a whisper. 

"Do you have ANY idea what they would've done to you if they saw you there?!" 

I shook my head no with the tears welling up. 

"Fuck Kathy" He scoffed in frustration. 

"Who where those people Nate?" I shakily asked. 

"DAMNIT KATHY! DON'T YOU GET IT!" He lifted his hand in anger and I flinched away into the couch breaking down in tears. 

"Please don't!" I yelled muffled by the couch pillow. 

"Hey" Nate's voice was softened now. I suddenly felt his hand on my back slowly rubbing me. Flashbacks of my father hitting me all flooded into my mind as I saw his hand raised. 

"Look at me." He cooed as his hand ran through my hair. 

I lifted my head as tears poured down my cheeks. 

"I would never hit you Kathy" He said bringing his hand up to my cheek. 

"I was rubbing the back of my neck. I'm so sorry" He said wiping my tears. 

"I'm sorry for following you Nate."

"Why did you?"

"I thought you were going to see a girl" I shook my head in embarrassment. 

He put his finger under my chin. "I only want you Kathy." He said looking into my eyes. 

I nodded my head slowly. 

"Nate..." I said shakily. 

"What babe" He answered hesitantly. 

"They had a gun" I whimpered as more tears fell down my face. 

"Kathy, I will tell you about them soon enough, but not yet. You have to trust me and promise me you'll never follow me again when I go" He said 

I sat in silence. 

"Please Kathy, Promise me right now." 

"I promise" I said quietly looking down.

He pulled me into a warm hug. 

"I'm sorry they scared you. Come on let's go to bed" He said as I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck. He lifted me off the couch and brought me to the bedroom to sleep.