Chapter 15

I slowly put down the phone careful not to erase the message so Nate wouldn't know I heard it. 

"Kathy..." Nates voice cautiously echoed through the kitchen. 

I slowly turned around careful to not show the tears that were now building in my eyes. 

"Hey..." I said slowly trying to figure out what his emotions were at the moment. 

"What were you doing with my phone?"

I sat in silence for a moment but decided against letting him know I intruded on his privacy. 

"I heard something ringing so I came into the kitchen to see if it was my phone but realized you must have left your phone here" I tried to keep my voice calm but you could hear the shakiness in it. I couldn't completely hide the fact that I was now terrified of Nate and have no idea what his intentions were.

He knows my dad has come close to beating me to death multiple times and now I know they are working together somehow? I don't know any of the details, this could be bad. Hell, Nate could be bad and here I am putting Jared's and my life in danger living with this stranger.

"Yeah I must have forgot it. Did you see who was calling?" 

"No."

He walked past me and quickly snatched up his phone. I slowly walked into the living room and sat down on the couch trying so hard not to let these tears fall down my cheeks. 

I heard Nate clicking buttons on his phone. Then I heard him heavy sigh and footsteps walking up behind me. 

I quickly stood up and turned to face him not knowing if he was going to hurt me. The tears were falling down my face at this point. 

"You listened to the message didn't you..." He said slowly approaching me.

"Stop. Get away from me." I said as calmly as I could and careful not to wake Jared. 

"Kathy please hear me out."

"Who even are you?" I questioned as tears poured now and the hurt radiated through my voice. 

"Kathy, please just sit down and I can explain."

"I trusted you, you took my virginity! How could you be working with my father!? I put myself and my brother in danger living here with you."

I grabbed my jacket that was laying on the couch and quickly started grabbing Jared's things around the living room. 

I needed to get out of here. I was sobbing at this point and Nate was just watching me in silence not knowing what to say. 

I quickly walked past him and entered the bedroom where I started to pack my bags.

"Where are you even going to go?" He asked quietly from the doorway. 

I turned around to defend myself. 

"Please get out. Just let me leave with Jared and we'll be on our way. I won't tell anyone about you please just let us leave, don't hurt us" I pleaded not knowing what else to do. 

Nate closed the door and walked over towards the bed. He sat down with his hands raised letting me know he wasn't going to try and hurt me. He lightly patted the spot next to him on the bed for me to sit. I stood frozen in the corner of the bedroom not knowing if I should just make a break for it and grab Jared to get out of here. 

But he was right, where would I even go? I have no money or car and its cold outside we wouldn't last outside for the night in the freezing temperature. There was no way in hell I was going back home either. 

"I'm not going to hurt you Kathy, please come here" He was so calm, not threatening at all. He almost seemed defeated. 

I slowly and cautiously sat on the bed as far away from him as possible and stared into those dark brown eyes. Tears were still streaming down my face as he looked back at me with what looked like regret and pity. 

"I know what you heard must be scary but I can explain everything. Maybe not everything right now but eventually I can explain everything."

"Thats not good enough. I refuse to stay here without knowing how you know my father, why your in contact with him, why he's paying you and where you go at night with men who carry guns. I refuse to put myself and Jared in anymore danger. I thought I could trust you Nate. I actually liked you."

He scooted a little closer to me on the bed and reached for my hand but I pulled it away. 

"Please don't be afraid of me Kathy. Please don't go tonight. It's freezing out and you and Jared have no where to go. Stay here and I can explain a lot to you tomorrow when Jared is at school. I can't explain everything yet but I can try and explain as much as possible. Please stay. I will sleep on the couch if you don't trust me."

I sat in silence as another tear fell down my cheek. 

"Please?" He whispered out still staring into my eyes. 

I slowly and skeptically nodded my head slowly. He was right, we have no where else to go.