Chapter 4 - Royalty Status & Pleasantry Letters

All the Head Girls and Boys that have come before me had their own dormitories and the same perk applied to me, which is great, but it also means I probably have to see you-know-who each morning. I loved the royalty status that came with my new position, but I would be sure to remain kind and not abuse the privileges that were granted to me. I did not want to cause any problems nor disappoint any of my professors. Despite this, sometimes I wondered if the position was worth it if I was going to constantly face the obnoxious Slytherin Head Boy, I hated him that much.

I made my way to my private chamber and wrote a letter to my aunt briefly telling her the events of the night. I hated writing to her, but I had to deliver a monthly update in order for her to remain at ease.

Dear Aunt,

I have safely arrived at Hogwarts. Tonight I was officially named Head Girl of Ravenclaw by Headmaster Dumbledore, as you knew would happen. I am writing to you from my new private chambers, which is an incredibly nice amenity to have. I hope work is going well and I'll be sure to update you if any important events were to occur throughout the month.

Sincerely,

Athena Alastair

It was concise, straight to the point, and not too insincere for my comfort. I was brutally honest, but through writing, pretending to actually care for my aunt, or anyone, came easier to me.

I gave the small letter to Blair and told her to send it to my aunt's office instead of the manor because, similar to all workaholics, she would probably be at her office for more than half the day and pay more attention to whatever arrives over there. This theory was proven to be correct after I sent her three letters to the manor during first year and she never read them, but when I sent her a piece of paper only with my name on it to her office at the Ministry she was sure to grab the parchment as soon as Blair dropped it off.

My owl is truly remarkable, if I were an owl I would not be mailing empty pieces of paper, but Blair was more than my owl because she was a friend. She knew when I was feeling down or when I was happy and made sure to make me feel better in both scenarios. She could not talk, but her presence and caring attitude was enough for me to love her deeply.

Once I knew Blair was well on her way, I closed the windows and prepared myself for what I hoped would be a good sleep. It was obvious that I would need some good sleep if I was to have energy for whatever would come tomorrow. At Hogwarts, every day is a tiresome yet fulfilling adventure.