Chapter 41 - Visiting Aunt & Reconciliations

Back to square one, I had not seen Abraxas since I left the hospital and I was brushing off Tom's declaration of love. Too busy with studying for the NEWTs to spend any quality time with Abraxas and too scared of what I may do if I share the same space as Tom. My aunt had not answered my letter and this meant I would have to partner up with the man I was avoiding. Two days she has left me waiting, that meant she will probably not answer. Everyone wishes upon stars to have the affluent lifestyle and prowess that a family like mine possesses, but is it truly something worth yearning?

Standing next to Septimus, I was anxiously waiting for Professor Beery to finish his lecture. Although I must say, a lecture is much better than actually having to touch anything in this class. I had drastically improved in Herbology, now understanding most of what the Professor was saying and what he expected, but I still found the course to be useless. I was summoned to Dumbledore's office after this class since today I did not have 7th period. Hopefully, he does not add to my internal conflict concerning Tom and my family; he had already said enough.

Apparently, the questions and worry running through my mind were noticeable on my face because a voice interrupted my train of thought.

"Well? What's distracting ya, sweet cheeks?", Septimus asked with a dazzling smile.

"Nothing at all", I quickly replied with a hint of annoyance in my voice I quickly regretted.

"Oh come on, I'm definitely no Malfoy, but I know you well enough!", he responds.

"Well... if you must know, I'm just having school and family related stress with a touch of teenage angst and lovers' quarrel thrown into the depressing mix.", I expressed in a self-deprecating tone.

Septimus sighed and brushed his fingers through his thick and long ginger locks. Then, he put a hand on my shoulder and smiled.

"One person can't feel all that at once, they'd explode.", he said with concern after a few seconds of silence. "But in all seriousness, I understand that, right now, we're at a time in our lives where everything is changing or is about to begin to permanently change forever. Despite that, you'll be okay. You're one of the sickest people I've met, brightest girl here!"

"Thank you Septimus, I needed that.", I replied with a quick smile and nod of reassurance.

Septimus flashed me with his dazzling white smile and continued to face the class once more. Knowing I made an impression on someone that was not Malfoy or Riddle, that meant something to me. I always knew I had potential to do great things, but I've struggled to find what those great things may be. But now, I understand that it is okay not to know yet. Life is changing, I must embrace destiny if I don't want to fall on my arse while running towards the never stopping train that is life's course.

A few minutes after Septimus' kind words and high-spirited essence filled me with a new sense of reassurance, I made my way towards Dumbledore's office. The same large circular room filled with mysterious hidden objects as well as all the typical decorative objects of a Headmaster's office.

Walking through the near empty halls, I heard voices murmuring on the other side of the hallway. I was not late yet, so curiosity redirected my steps towards the sound of people talking. Standing behind a wall, I could see three figures, all turning their backs in my direction.

"I have abandoned our mission, I desire a different kind of future for myself. Let's just say that... power can be obtained through other means.", the first figure spoke.

"But, we have been planning for far too long to stop now. You specifically said th-"

"I know what I said! I have changed my mind and you simply do as I say, did I make myself clear?", the first voice quickly interrupted.