27. Jacob Black

+++++

+++++

With the Cullens, Magnolia and her parents never had to worry about the safety of the town. But now, with an unknown rouge vampire wandering the woods, the family was on edge.

Elton and Magnolia sat at the dinner table, heads down as in the bedroom above, her parents argued and argued loud. "I'm so sorry, Elton," Magnolia sighed. "I don't know what's going on with them."

"It's fine," Elton chuckled dryly. "Parents fighting isn't foreign to me."

Magnolia rolled her eyes with a dry chuckled and smacked his arm playfully. "You wanna get out of the house for a bit? Let them cool down?" She stood up, stretching her arms. "I've been meaning to go see Bella this week."

Elton stood up as well, shrugging. "Sure, if you wanna go."

"I do," Magnolia crossed her arms, raising her brow. "Why wouldn't I?"

Elton shook his head, heading to the front door. "I don't know, Maggie," He shrugged. "You guys haven't been on the best of terms lately."

Magnolia scoffed. "We just saw a movie together."

"That she was obliged to invite you to," He laughed. "She invited the whole table," He grabbed his coat, smiling until he noticed Magnolia's face. She stayed seated at the table, frowning, blue eyes nearly black. "Hey, Maggie. It was just a joke, I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Magnolia huffed, standing up. "You were right. She had to invite me," She made her way to the door, slipping her jacket on as well. "Bella is good like that." Taking the keys, she pushed past Elton, into the brisk morning air. Elton chased after her.

"What do you even want to talk to her about?" He questioned as they approached her car.

Magnolia sighed, mind wandering back to Jacob. According to her mother, he had already transformed and was a part of the pack and he hadn't contacted Bella at all. She couldn't tell Bella about what he was, but she was she as hell going to be there for her if she fell into another depression. "Jacob had a freak out at the movies and I'm sure she's worried sick. She needs a friend right now."

They sat outside of the Swan house. Magnolia hesitated. "Maggie, you sure you're okay to go in? I can come with you. I can distract Charlie?" Elton placed a hand on her arm.

Magnolia tensed. "N-No," She managed to speak. "I can do this. You wait here, I'll be back," She opened the car door, not letting Elton get another word in and marched up to the front door. Her stomach flipped nervously as soon as she knocked. The door opened. "Bella!" She was shocked to see that it was not Charlie who answered, like normal.

"Magnolia?" Bella's stature clearly showed she was nervous. "What are you doing here?"

Magnolia sighed shakily, gathering her composure. She fiddled with her hands as she spoke. "I wanted to talk about...about Jacob."

This piqued Bella's interest. "Jacob? Have you heard from him?"

Magnolia frowned. She was so worried for Jacob, but if she was in Bella's position, she would be too. "No," Bella's excitement immediately decreased. "But! I was wondering if you'd like to go see him?"

"Really?" Bella sighed. "He doesn't want to see me, what makes you think he'd be fine with you there too?"

"Actually, my mom wanted me to drop off something for Billy," Magnolia looked everywhere but at Bella. "And I thought it would be a good way for you to talk to him." She waited anxiously, hoping Bella would accept.

Bella had paused, staring at Magnolia as she gathered her thoughts. Only a moment went by until she nodded, her greasy brown hair falling to cover her eyes. "Good thinking," She managed a smile. "I'll get my coat."

"Great," Magnolia sighed with relief. "I'll be waiting in the car," She walked to the car with a new pep in her step, she couldn't stop smiling. Elton looked at her expectantly, though, from the look on her face, he already knew. "She'll be right out." Magnolia smiled triumphantly.

"How'd you swing that?" Elton teased, nudging her lightly. Magnolia chuckled and rolled her eyes, choosing to not answer him. When Bella finally got into the car, Elton turned to her. "Hey, Bella!"

She smiled shyly back at him. "Hi, Elton. How are you?" Seeing Magnolia with Elton again was a shock to Bella, as she remembered when the two weren't talking and Magnolia confided to her.

"Good," He smiled and turned back to face the front. "Just going along for the ride." The car started and soon they were on their way.

Magnolia had hoped the ride wouldn't be awkward, but she couldn't think of a thing to say to Bella. The silence built in the car until Elton, not being able to take it anymore, turned the radio on. Thank you, Magnolia thought, feeling herself relax as the tension left. When they turned onto the reservation, through the mirror, Magnolia could see Bella become antsy as it began to rain. Parking in front of the Black house, she turned to Bella. "I'll go and let Billy know you're here. Stay with Elton."

She didn't let Bella argue, stepping out quickly and running to stand under the house awning to shield herself from the rain. As she knocked on the door, Magnolia could feel herself becoming anxious, regretting coming here for Bella's sake and ignoring Jacob's wish not to see her. Billy opened it hesitantly. "Hello..? Oh! Magnolia, come in."

He ushered her in quickly, alarming the girl. "Is everything alright, Billy? What's the rush?"

Billy paused, shutting the door with a huff. "Please, talk to Jacob. He won't listen to me." He lead her to Jacob's room, not bothering to knock on the door.

There was an inhuman growl that emitted from Jacob as he scowled at his dad from his bed. Magnolia tried to keep her shock in check. The boy now had nearly buzzed hair and his shirt was off, exposing his new tattoo and abs. "What?" He yelled, stopping when he noticed Magnolia. "What is she doing here?"

Magnolia stepped forward. "To help, Jacob. I thought it let you know what I am since I know what you are," Jacob paused, his brows knitting together in confusion, but allowed her to sit across from him and talk. Magnolia explained everything, from what a Sorceress was to their origins, the whole history. "Any questions?" She hesitantly concluded with.

Jacob stared at her, his face unreadable. He stood calmly. "How could you stand to be near a Cullen?"

"What?" That's not the question she was expecting. When he turned back to face her, his eyes were filled with anger.

"You dated one...loved one. How?" He balled his fists.

Magnolia now felt herself becoming angry. "My love life is none of your concern," She stared him down with just as much anger. "Do you have a real question?" Jacob watched her, unable to keep his eyes from widening as blue mist swirled around her eyes and hands. He huffed, shaking his head and storming out, with Bella waiting right outside for him and Elton was caught in the crossfire.