32. Punishment

+++++

+++++

When they pulled up to Magnolia's house, the girl could see the silhouette of her parents at the door. She turned to Elton. "How mad are they?"

He physically cringed. "On a scale of one to ten? I'd wager...one million."

Magnolia sighed, rubbing her hands down her face. "Let's just get this over with," She unbuckled her seat belt, pausing as she gripped the door handle. "You should probably stay in here. You don't need to face the wrath of Mr. and Mrs. Siren." Elton didn't argue, allowing her to walk alone up to the house. She stopped at the front steps, unsure of what to do or say.

"Magnolia," Her father began slowly. His voice cracked ever so slightly. "Would you mind coming inside so we can talk?" She got a good look at both of them; heavy, purple bags under their eyes, unkempt hair. It was like they didn't sleep for days. Silently, Magnolia nodded, following her parents inside the home. Timothy pointed to the couch, wordlessly telling her o take a seat. She didn't argue.

They both sat in front of her, her mother's hand gripping her father for dear life. Timothy opened his mouth but was unable to find the right words. The normally angry man couldn't find it in his heart to be angry. He was so worried about his daughter, and judging by how shaken up she looked, he doubted yelling would make anything better. "Are you...are you hurt?" His voice was strangely quiet.

Magnolia swallowed the lump in her throat. She found herself being unable to look either of them in the eye. "N-No," Ariana let out a sigh, grateful. "And I'm sorry. It was all so quick and unexpected. Alice was back and saying Edward would be presenting himself to the Volturi because he thought Bella was dead and Bella wanted my help and then Jasper was there and-"

"Magnolia, dear," Her mother's shaken voice stopped her rambling. Magnolia froze, finally looking her mother in the eye. Instant regret pooled in her stomach at the look on her mother's face -- a mix of horror, sadness, and pain. It was horrible to see the distress she caused. "We know why you went. Carlisle called us."

"He did?" Magnolia paused. Why would the Cullens go out of their way to help her, after all the pain they caused?

"Yes," Timothy nodded. He was doing remarkably well holding his anger in. His teeth and jaw clenched. "We understood why you went...but that doesn't mean we approve of it either."

"If the High Council heard that you went to Volterra, there would be severe consequences for not just you, but us as well," Ariana explained slowly, painfully. "I'm glad Alice had the sense to stop you from going in. The relationship between Edward and Bella is one for Aro to deal with. He doesn't need another reason to destroy the Cullens."