02. Bella Swan

+++++

+++++

Magnolia stared at herself in the girl's bathroom mirror, readjusting her glasses. She groaned at the redness of her eyes and face, tear stains dried from her breakdown. There was a soft knock at the door. "Maggie? Your mom said you were in here." The raspy voice of her best friend, Elton, came from outside.

She quickly picked up her bag and pushed open the door. He smiled sadly at her. "You really look like shit."

Magnolia snorted and smacked his chest. "Haha very funny. That's saying a lot coming from the kid who's dying from lung cancer." She scrunched her nose up, pretending to be disgusted by the cigarette smell, which by now she was used to.

Elton glared. "I didn't ask to be attacked, Magnolia. But why did you have a panic attack anyway? Your mom seemed pretty pissed off about it if I'm being honest."

The two started walking down the halls. Magnolia sighed. "It's stupid really, and she wasn't pissed at me, she was pissed at Carlisle Cullen."

Elton laughed. "Dr. Cullen? Really? I didn't know he could get underneath her skin so easily." They turned a corner, and Magnolia could see that the female Cullens had joined their brothers, as they stood in a group around a trash can.

Laughing, Magnolia turned back to Elton, feeling the eyes of all of them on her. "Well, you'd be surprised how easily the Cullens can piss us off." She looked back up at them, smiled at Alice and Rosalie, who were her friends, to show the comment wasn't directed towards them, then harshly glared at Edward.

Elton laughed and pushed Magnolia down another hallway. "Which one of them did it?" He asked.

Magnolia cocked an eyebrow at him, fixing her glasses slightly. "What do you mean? Did what?"

Elton sighed. "You know. Which one caused your little breakdown, Maggie."

She stopped and pulled him over to a wall. "Shh, they'll hear you." Elton was confused. How could they hear us? They were way out of earshot. Magnolia shook her head. "Don't ask. But yes one of them did and no I won't tell you...right now. Meet me after school, we can go out for pizza."

"Umm...okay. I don't know why you're being so cryptic about it, but I'll wait," Elton could tell whatever happen seemed to mess her up for the day, so he decided against his usual teasing. The bell rang. "I'll see you at lunch, try not to let them get to you." The two friends hugged and parted ways.

As Magnolia walked through the halls, she could hear a voice, asking around for where the gym was. She looked up, and immediately felt all her anxiety and worry melt away. Standing, confused in the hall, was Bella Swan.

"Bella!" Magnolia rushed forward and wrapped the girl in a bone-crushing hug. A surprised gasp came from Bella's mouth.

"Um, who a-are you?"

Magnolia instantly let go, feeling sorry she didn't tell Bella who she was first. "Oh! I'm so sorry. You might not remember me, or maybe you do I'm-"

"Magnolia!" Bella smiled, realizing who the girl was after seeing her face. "Of course I remember you. Charlie won't stop talking about you, saying how you've grown, and that you're excited to see me again and blah blah blah." The two of them laughed.

"I missed you so much. My mom actually put through a request for me to give you a tour, but it won't happen till tomorrow," Bella smiled, not really believing her childhood best friend was in front of her. Sometimes Bella believed all the time spent with Magnolia in Forks was some sort of fever dream. "You're looking for the gym, right?"

Bella nodded, laughing awkwardly. "Yeah, I-I'm really not sure where it is."

Magnolia smiled. "Well lucky for you, I am the best person to show you. Come on, I'll drop you off, my class is in that direction anyway."

After showing Bella where the gym was, and catching up a bit with her, Magnolia made it to her history class just in time. The teacher warned her as she sat down not to cut it that close again. She rolled her eyes, taking out her binder and pencil case.

A tingle went up Magnolia's back. It felt like someone was watching her, and it didn't take her long to realize who it was. She reluctantly looked to her left, to see Jasper staring at her. "What do you want." She whispered as the lesson started.

Jasper shook his head, not saying a word, and turned back to the front of the class. Magnolia huffed. Now she was just annoyed with him. "Stupid Cullens, stupid vampires, stupid Jasper with his stupid hair and his stupid eyes and his stupid smile that I love so much and-" She shook her head, trying to think of anything else but him. That wasn't hard though, for the fact her teacher called on her to answer a question she didn't hear.

The class started as she fumbled with her words, trying to think of an answer, a few students laughing quietly. "The civil war, ma'am." Jasper had piped up beside her. Their teacher smiled, praising Jasper on his knowledge. Magnolia fumed; she was angry that she let Jasper distract her so much. She felt her hands start to tingle. Wide-eyed, she looked down to see what was almost like lightning flowing between her fingers. "Magic." She whispered to herself. Her mom was still training her, and Magnolia had yet to perform any feats of magic, she just excelled in combat.

Jasper felt terrified, seeing sorcerer magic right in front of his eyes. He'd heard stories about how terrifying a fully trained sorcerer could be, but he never could see sweet little Magnolia becoming a monster like that; he had to tell his family what he saw. He raised his hand. "Ma'am. May I go to the washroom?" The teacher nodded, excusing him and he rushed out with his bag and school work.

Magnolia assumed he wouldn't come back, but she couldn't figure out what he was leaving for. Vampires didn't need to use the washroom, so what was Jasper up to? A jolt of fear flew through her as an idea entered her head. Did he see her use magic? She shook her hands, the magic fading away, and she sat through the rest of the class with a pit in her stomach.