Seven

The air in the elevator was cold and stale and smelled strangely of seal blubber. Katara wrinkled her nose when the smell became unbearable. It seemed to follow Hama around like a blanket, though she wasn't sure why. She hadn't ever seen Hama around the beaches of District Four, so why would she smell like that?

Sokka nudged Katara, making his eyes go wide. He mouthed something to her, but she couldn't tell what he was trying to say. She guessed it had something to do with the awful stench in the elevator since he plugged his nose. Katara had to look away from her brother or else she would burst out laughing. She could feel the laughter bubble it's way up, but she clenched her jaw together so she wouldn't make a fool out of herself.

The elevator slowed to a stop and the doors opened. Katara and Sokka rushed out of the elevator, and Sokka bent over, taking deep breaths. "Have you two not taken an elevator before?" Malina asked, her eyes traveling between the two siblings. "Because I was sure there were some buildings back in District Four that had elevators."

"We're not huge fans of elevators," Katara said quickly. She patted Sokka's shoulder, saying, "He has a fear of them."

Sokka grunted, straightening back up. "I do - " Katara hit his back, forcing a smile onto her face. She wanted Sokka to go along with the lie because she didn't want to say anything about the weird smell coming from Hama. He sighed, dropping his head. "I do have a fear of elevators."

"It's alright," Malina said, grinning widely. "Everyone has a fear of something." She walked forward with Hama hobbling after her. "Our apartment is this way. Follow me, please."

Katara and Sokka fell into a rhythmic pace behind the two older women. Katara still felt a little anger towards her brother, but if they wanted to survive the games, then they would have to team up. Katara's eyes widened when she remembered that there could only be one winner. If they did team up, they would have to kill one or the other at the end anyway. She didn't think she would be able to kill Sokka. She hoped he wouldn't kill her.

"Since we just arrived today, you two do not have to train yet," Malina said over her shoulder. "We'll talk strategy once we get settled in."

"Katara," Sokka whispered to her. "I don't trust those two."

"Me either," she said, shaking her head. "I actually met Malina before the reaping."

"What?"

Katara hesitated for a second before nodding. "Yeah. I went to see Dad at the factory and he was chatting with her." Katara glanced at the back of Malina's head. "It seemed like there was something going on between them."

Sokka was silent, so Katara looked over at him. He had a frown on his face and he gently tugged at his ponytail. "I'm glad that Dad has moved on, but with her?" He shuddered. "No thank you."

"You're glad he moved on?" Katara bit her lip, watching Sokka closely. "Do you . . . do you think Mom is still alive?"

Sokka's face darkened. "It's looks worse every year that we can't find her, Katara. I don't think we'll ever find her again."

Katara gave him a curt nod but looked away from him. Her eyes slightly watered and her throat got tight. She couldn't ever give up hope on her mother. She would spend every day of the rest of her life looking for her mother. Now, though, she wasn't sure how much longer she had. Now that she was in the Hunger Games, her life was significantly shorter. 

Katara wasn't paying attention to anyone and nearly ran into Malina. She had stopped in front of a door, and was saying something. "- This is the place we're staying before the Games." Hama walked through the open door, heading straight toward a room on the opposite side. She slammed the door behind her, making Malina say, "When Hama gets out of her room, we will go over the training schedule and everything else. You two can do whatever you want right now, but you have to stay in our little apartment."

NightfallOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara