Thirty One

"Do you all understand the plan?" 

Katara stared at Iroh. He hadn't said much at all about the plan, just that they were going to infiltrate the Capital to bring down the President, who was conveniently his brother. Her trust for these people lowered significantly, and, with a quick glance around at her group, she could see them all starting to judge this man differently. 

"I'm sorry," Toph said, "but that didn't answer any of my questions. What makes you think I'll help if I don't know everything?"

"You didn't show us any maps or any information that could help us even get to the Capital from here," Aang said with a frown on his face. "How are we supposed to know what to do if you won't explain all of the plan to us?"

Katara didn't understand why Iroh was grinning. If he was the leader of the White Lotus, he wasn't good at it. Even Katara could guide a few troops here and there, and she had no experience doing that at all. 

"I'm not going to tell each of you the whole plan," Iroh explained with a nod. He shrugged. "I don't have to."

"Why?" Katara asked. Her frown deepened.

"I'm going to split you all up into three groups of two." Iroh looked at each of them with calculating eyes. Maybe he knew what he was doing after all. "Each group will have a different job for Operation Lotus. Once all the jobs are completed, then that we we will move into phase two of the operation. That's the actual storming of the Capital, but it won't just be you six fighting. I will send in reinforcements from the White Lotus to help take down this oppressive government."

Katara fixed her gaze onto the ground. She hadn't ever pictured the day when a group was going to overthrow the government; she sure hadn't pictured herself being apart of it. There was no going back now. This was it. She had to do this. She had to create a better world; it was what her mother would have wanted. For anything else, she wouldn't have done this. But for her mother, she would do anything.

"Why groups of two?" Sokka said, his voice breaking through her thoughts. "Why would you split us up?" His sounded a little mad, which was weird since he was one of the only ones who knew about this operation. "Wouldn't that be easier for us to be picked off one by one?"

Iroh frowned at him. "Groups of two is better than one whole group travelling together. By being separated, more things can get done in less time. It is a little risky, yes, but it will be for the better."

"It'll be fine," Lu Ten said, jumping into the conversation. He walked over next to his father, and Katara couldn't help but notice how similar they looked. They had the same chin and eyes. But most of all, they had the same sparkle in their eyes. "Splitting up into groups of two will be the best way to get this done. I promise."

People had always told Katara that she looked like her mother, but she didn't really believe them. Maybe it was because she couldn't look at the two of them side by side and see the similarities like she could with Lu Ten and Iroh. Or maybe it was because she couldn't really remember what her mother looked like. The image of her had slowly faded away with each passing year without her until she was just a faint memory. 

Maybe it was better that way. 

Iroh clapped, jarring her from her thoughts yet again. "Okay, it's time to be separated into groups. Since Lu Ten is up here, I'll say who he is partnered with." Iroh's eyes settled on Katara, and she frowned. "Katara, you and Lu Ten will be partnered together. Bato is going to bring you two over to the side while I explain to the other two groups what they are going to do."

Bato walked over to Katara with a smile on his face. She walked with him over to the corner, where Lu Ten already was. "This is where I leave you two," Bato said with a nod.