Twenty Two

Katara wasn't sure if a day had passed or if it was still the same day. She couldn't see up through the hole good enough to check if it was still light outside or not. It felt like she had been here for hours, watching for any intruders and also checking on Aang. His forehead was still clammy, and his skin was covered in sweat. She hoped that he was sweating out his fever instead of dying because of it.

The cave didn't feel that bad; it wasn't cold, but it wasn't warm, either. The only way to break a fever was to place as many blankets around the person, but they didn't have any blankets with them at all. She had to put her parka around him and  she also took off her outer clothes just to keep him warm so he could break the fever. 

Chill bumps appeared on her skin as little snowflakes filtered into the cave next to her. Her skin hadn't started turning blue yet, which was a good thing for her. Maybe if she laid down next to him, she could get warmer and help him sweat out his fever. Katara lowered herself next to him, scooting across the dusty floor. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, pulling him closer to her. Draping her parka around the two of them, Katara let out a sigh of relief. The parka was really warm, which was a good thing for both of them. 

The darkness around them was weighing down on Katara's heart and mind, making her doubt their chances. The way out was more difficult than what Katara remembered, so she wasn't sure if they would be able to get out easily. They hardly had any food, and the coldness from the snow above them wasn't helping matters. They seemed worse off in here than in the forest. 

If Aang died, Katara would blame herself. Sure, he was the one who ate the berries, but she was the one taking care of him. She had taken care of Sokka and Gran-Gran back home when they were sick, so what was hard about caring for Aang? Maybe it was because they were in the Hunger Games. To win the Games, everyone had to be dead, including the boy in her arms. That was the only way for her to win, so shouldn't she just let him die? She could leave him here to die - 

"What are you thinking about?" Aang said, making her jump away from him. Apparently during her internal battle, Aang had woken up. "Your face was screwed up in a frown."

Katara sucked in a deep breath, turning away from him. Her cheeks burned in shame. "I was thinking about . . . Sokka," she hastily said, rubbing at her eyes. She couldn't believe that she would let a thought like that cross her mind. Aang was so nice to her, and that was how she would repay him? She was a monster. "I'm worried about him."

"He'll be fine," Aang said, groaning slightly. Katara looked over her shoulder and saw him trying to sit up. Her parka fell off of his chest, landing on the ground in a dusty heap. "From what I know about him, he won't let himself get killed."

"Yeah, you're right." Katara turned her gaze back to the opposite wall, her heart hammering in her chest. She never wanted to tell Aang or anyone else what she was just thinking. She was crazy enough as it was. "Are you feeling any better?"

"Slightly." He tapped her shoulder and then appeared in her vision. His pale face was drawn into a frown. "What's wrong with you?"

"I already told you," she snapped, hanging her head so that he wouldn't see the shame on her face. "I'm worried about Sokka. That's it."

"Right," Aang said awkwardly. He sat down next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She slowly leaned into his embrace, wishing her heart wasn't beating so erratically. Her heart thudded against her chest harder under his touch, making her frown. "I promise you, Katara, Sokka will be fine. I saw him practice his fighting skills back in the Capital, and he was really good."

"I know that." Katara sighed, closing her eyes. "It's hard not to worry, you know?"

"Yeah." He shivered, so she quickly wrapped the parka around him again. "Are you sure I'm getting better?" Aang asked softly. "You don't have to lie to me, either."