Epilogue

Five years later . . .

The loud chattering told Katara that the others had already made it to the tea shop. She stepped toward the tea shop, feeling slightly nervous. It had been a while since they were all together in the same room, so she was anxious for whatever might come out of today. She knew it would be very emotional seeing these people again on the five year anniversary of the revolution. 

"It'll be fine," Aang said, stepping up next to her. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and gave her a squeeze. "These are our friends. You shouldn't be nervous."

"I know that," Katara said softly. She rested her head against his chest for a second. "But you know who I am and how nervous I get around anyone, even you."

"I can't change you, no matter how much I want to," he said with a laugh. "You're the only one who can change yourself, and, as I keep telling you, I think you should let go of this anxiety. It doesn't do you good to be nervous for everything."

"One step at a time, sweetie." Katara smiled up at Aang before untangling herself from him. She took a step toward the tea shop and held the door open for him. "I've made a lot of progress with my mental health. I'm proud of where I've come from."

"So am I," Aang said as he stepped inside. She followed him. None of their friends were down here in the public portion of the tea shop. They all were probably up in Iroh's living quarters already. "You've done a great job getting here, Katara."

She nodded as they began to climb the stairs. The voices of their friends were getting louder and louder the higher she climbed. It sounded like everyone was already there; her and Aang must have been late getting here. That made her even more nervous. She knew she shouldn't have been that nervous, but she was terrified of reliving the old memories from the Games.

Katara forced a smile on her face as she stepped into the living room. No one noticed her or Aang at first, so that gave her a second to just look around the place. Iroh had gotten pictures of every single tribute that they ever lost along with the White Lotus members that they lost and placed them on the far wall, with Lu Ten's picture in the center. She swallowed hard at the smiling figures; they all should have been alive and well.

Sokka was the first one who noticed her, and he let out an excited yell. Letting go of Suki, he made his way across the room, throwing his arms around her. She nearly fell down because of the force of his hug. "You're actually here!"

"Why would I miss this?" she asked, pulling away from the hug. She frowned up at her brother. "I planned this, you dummy."

"It's so good to see you guys," Suki said happily. She joined Aang, Katara, and Sokka with an easy smile on her face. "How are you two doing?"

"We're great," Aang said, grabbing onto Katara's hand. He squeezed her hand gently. "These last five years have been hard, but so, so rewarding."

"Oogies," Sokka muttered. 

"Oogies is right," Toph yelled from farther into the room. "I don't like hearing anything about romance, and that goes for you and Suki, too."

Sokka and Suki moved out of their way, so Katara walked more into the room. Iroh was sitting at a table in the center of the room with Toph, and he had a pleasant smile on his face. To her surprise, Zuko and Mai were also sitting at the table. She knew that he had come out of hiding about two years ago, but she hadn't expected to see him here, well and alive. She had heard that while she was fighting Azula, Mai was waiting for Zuko. She got him to a safe house and nursed him back to health. 

"I hope you don't mind that I invited my nephew and his girlfriend," Iroh said when he saw the look Katara had on her face. "I wanted them here to celebrate with us."