Robins

The boys walked straight to Professor McGonagall's office, James knocked at the door and was greeted with a disgruntled Minerva.
'Professor McGonagall..'
'What have you done now?'
'Nothing. Why do you think we did something wrong.'
'You sounded mature for a second.'
'Minnie, we need to ask you for a favour.'
'Black, I do not need to remind you that it is Professor McGonagall, or Miss.'
'Sorry Miss.'
'What is the favour.'
'We want to go and get something.'
'From where.'
'The McKinnon mansion.'
'Absolutely not! Why on Earth would you want to go somewhere that your lives would be in danger?'
'Marlene.'
'What is it?'
'Stuff from her brothers. It's in her room.'
'I cannot grant you permission to do this, and let it be known I would not if I was able, but this seems like a question for the headmaster.'

The boys followed Professor McGonagall to Dumbledoor's office. She went in and left them standing outside for a few minutes, she came back out with a slight scowl on her face.
'The headmaster has given you two permission due to you both being seventeen years old. You may go now but will take two school owls with you to message when you get there and when you are leaving, if there is a delay of more that fifteen minutes between the owls we will have to assume the worst and contact the ministry.'
'Thank you Minnie.'
'It's Professor- oh just go quickly and be safe!'

The boys walked back to the main entrance where they decided it would be best to fly on their brooms to the McKinnon mansion.
They left quickly on their brooms after they collected the owls.
'Hey Pads this isn't a stupid idea is it?'
'Um Prongs I'm sure it is but we have to do it for Mar.'

The rest of the journey they fell silent, they could see the mansion in the distance and decided it would be best for one of them to go in under the cover of James' invisibility cloak.

'I'll go in, I know the layout of her room and I can somewhat remember seeing the robins.'
'Be silent Prongs.'
'Always Pads.' Sirius sent the first owl.
James flew to Marlene's window 'Alohomora.' He whispered, he heard a click and knew the window was unlocked, James opened the window and climbed though 'Lumos.' His wand shone brightly as he made his way to the mantelpiece above the fireplace, he could see the three robins placed carefully and picked each up and put them into a bag.

'James.' James gasped and turned around he saw a familiar face,
'Matt...wait how do I know it's you?' He gripped his wand tighter.
'Last Christmas, Marlene came here and I sent her to your house.'
'It is you.' James rushed over to Matt, he was skin and bone. 'Why are you still here?'
'My wand snapped, I couldn't leave the house, so I was trapped here.'
'What have you been eating?'
'Marlene always had food, you should know that.'
'Come with me, we have to go now.'
'James..'
'Marlene would never forgive me if I left you here.'

Matt nodded and they climbed back out of the window onto James' broom. James flew up to where Sirius was floating and explained about Matt. Sirius nodded and sent the other owl, he took the bag off of James and put it on his back, and the three of then flew off back to Hogwarts.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

'Marlene! Wake up!'
'Matt what the-MATT!' Marlene sprung out of bed and embraced her brother 'What-why-how-'
'I'm fine Marlene, calm down.'
'You not look at you! Where's Myles?'
'I don't know, he was away when our parents joined the death eaters.'
'How?'
'It was James and Sirius, they came to the house-'
'THEY DID WHAT?!' Marlene turned to the boys 'YOU DID WHAT?' Before they could answer she carried on shouting, 'YOU WENT TO MY HOUSE EVEN THOUGH YOU KNOW THERE WAS A HIGH CHANCE OF MY FAMILY BEING THERE, OR OTHER DEATH EATERS, OR I DON'T KNOW MAYBE HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED! WHAT POSSIBLY COULD BE THE REASON YOU TWO WOULD DO SOMETHING SO IDIOTIC AND DANGEROUS?'

Sirius took the bag off his shoulder and passed it to Marlene.
'A bag, you're handing me a bag!?'
'Look inside it Mar.' Matt nudged her and nodded when she looked up at him. She put her hand in and pulled out a glass jar that she immediately recognised.
'Marcels robin.' Her voice faltered.
'Not just his.' James replied, Marlene put her hand in again and pulled out the painting.
'Myles..' she pulled out a piece of bark 'And yours Matt.' She looked up at him with tears in her eyes.
'I can't believe you kept them all this time.'
'I had to, to me it was a promise that you would always come back, like the robins every year, they disappear over the summer but always come back the next winter.' Her eyes glistened with tears and her voice began to break 'But Marcel's never coming back.'
'As long as you remember him, he will never be truly gone.' Matthew hugged her tightly, 'Look I need to talk to Dumbledoor, I'll be back soon.' He looked at James 'Don't let her leave this room.' He whispered, James nodded and Matt walked out.