#14 - A Midnight Ride

"Tul your phone is ringing. Should I pick it?" Max shouted.

Tul had just gone to their room to collect his watch and wallet while Max was clearing up the dining table before they both left for work. Boom had left at the crack of dawn while Tomo had just left a few minutes back.

"Who is it?" Tul questioned. He was walking back from the room strapping his watch to his wrist.

"Some unknown number." Max replied picking the mobile.

Tul suddenly snatched the phone from Max and replied. "No, it's nothing. Let's go we are getting late."

"What...?" Max asked startled.

But didn't bother to pursue the matter as his own phone rang. It was Farm from the café. While talking on the phone the 2 made their way out to the parking.

Max finished his call and handed one helmet to Tul while he strapped his own and started Blue. The Ducati Scrambler started with a deep purr and Max gunned the throttle making Tul laugh at his childish antics.

Just then Tul's phone started ringing again and Max looked at him, "Maybe it's something urgent."

"No, it's nothing, let's go." Tul sounded just a little edgy and agitated.

This was not the first time that Max had seen that hunted look on Tul's face. In the past few weeks he had witnessed this look on several occasions when Tul's phone rang. There was certainly something going on. But Max didn't want to make a big deal out of it and start another fight. It was not that long ago that they had had an argument which they had thankfully resolved without letting it escalate into something worst.

But Max vowed to himself to talk to Tul about it. Not because he didn't trust Tul but because he was just a little worried about it. There was something that just felt a little off to him. Like his sixth sense was trying to warn him about something.

A couple of days later late one night, once again Tul's phone was ringing. It had just been the 2 of them at home that day. Tul had just gone to the kitchen to fetch water when his phone, left on the coffee table, started ringing.

Max saw it was again the same unknow number flashing in the caller ID. He hesitated for a moment as he didn't want to pick the call without Tul's permission. But he was curious.

Just as he received the call by sliding his thumb over the green strip Tul snatched the mobile from his hand.

"Don't!" Tul snapped and walked off to the bedroom.

Max was just a little stunned and got up to pursue Tul when the front door opened and Boom & Tomo tumbled in.

"Oh goody, you are still awake." Tomo said looking pleased.

"Want to go on a midnight ride?" Boom asked his eyes shining with unbridled excitement.

"Where is Tul?" Tomo asked. "Tul... Tul...," he shouted.

"Night ride??" Max questioned.

Just then Tul came out from the room and asked, "What's up guys?"

In short Tomo explained. "We have an internal audit coming up and I need to collect some papers from one of our other property (Resort) located at Paradise Beach. Its not very far from here. Barely an hour's ride. We will go, collect the document and come back. It will be fun."

"Say yes Max. This is a good chance for you to take your baby on a spin." Boom said sounding excited.

"Can we go from Karon's point. The view at night from that place is awesome. Come on Maxii it will be fun" Tul interjected.