Chapter 3

Aelin

One minute I was trying to show Dorian some books I found, and the next I was falling through oblivion. The crown was gone, either back in the castle or it fell off. I was involuntarily shifting between my human and fae body. It was so painful I screamed. The pain could be from shifting too much or a windburn, either way, I knew I would pass out soon if I didn't get to land, or a building quickly. I pulled my hood over my face, trying to protect myself from more damage. When I could finally get my magic to stop, I was human. I was near an overly extravagant roof, I knew that I would break through it. By the looks of it, it was meant to be looked at, even if I were just walking on it, it would still break. Five seconds from crashing. Four seconds. Three. Two. One. I landed on my feet as Arobynn had taught me all those years ago. As much as I rejoiced in him being dead, he taught me some good skills. Briefly looking around the room I landed in. I saw two females and about twelve males, all fae and all looking at me like they were silently debating whether or not to try and kill me.

"Where the hell am I?" I said, no one answered me at first so I repeated myself. "Where am I?"

"Um, little girl. You just crashed through a roof and you're demanding answers from us?" A male said to me incredulously. He had dark skin, with toned-down gold eyes. Maybe he was from Eyllwe? I didn't recognise any of these fae, and Rowan and I had gone on a couple of diplomatic visits to Eyllwe and Doranelle since it was Rowans cousin Sellene who rules now, but I didn't see any of the fae in front of me while we were walking the streets.

"Yes, I have no idea where I am and you seem to be having a meeting so I'm going to assume you do know where I am, so I will ask you this one more time. Where. Am I?" I say. Everyone here was obviously important on some level because the one who answered my question looked appalled.

"Oh Helion, you just got told by a human!" Another male said. He had blue-black hair with entrancing violet eyes.

"Oh piss off Rhysand!" He turned to me. "Young mortal, you are in the presence of all seven high lords and the two high ladies of Prythian, why do you think you have the right to talk to us like that?" Helion said. High Lords?

"We got there eventually!" I say. "Um, where exactly is Prythian?" Everyone looked at me like I had lost my mind.

"Human! What's your name? You barge in here, falling from the damn roof and start questioning us!" Another male says. This male had long blond hair and a snarky expression, I already didn't like him.

"Ask nicely and maybe I'll tell you," I replied. This made him sneer and sit forward like he was contemplating to reach over the table and strangle me.

"What is your name. Please and thank you." Said one of the two females. She had blue eyes and brown hair, and she was also wearing a beautiful black dress that looked like it had plucked the stars from the sky and put it on the dress. I smiled, almost started laughing.

"Celaena Sardothien, at your service," I said, not caring if I give fake information easily, I did a little mocking bow. All of a sudden, I feel a claw in my mind. Pure obsidian, trying to see my innermost thoughts. I was back with Maeve, another round of Carin pulling me apart. No, she wouldn't have shown me her dying, she wanted me to feel powerless. I escaped. I escaped. I escaped. I put up a mental barrier of white-hot flame to try to stop the one infiltrating my mind. The female from before flinched. Bingo I thought. Sliding into the killing calm, I lunged. Since I was in my assassins suit, I just had to flick my wrist to have a dagger in my hand. In a split second I had thrown it with deadly accuracy. It grazed her ear and embedded into the wall behind her. Rhysand stood up, and he looked enraged.

"Do NOT throw a knife at my mate!" He said with darkness oozing off him.

"Well tell your mate to stay out of my head." I answered with as much, probably more fire than him. I wouldn't break my stare, but nor would he. There was teeth bearing and snarling from both of us.

"Oh Rhys, you got some competition," Helion said, probably subtle revenge from before.

"Okay, since I told you my name, I expect introductions from all of you."

Rowan 

The letter I got was from Chaol and Yrene. Yrene had just had her baby and were asking if they could bring the infant along to the ball. I immediately respond, saying that both Aelin and I would love to have extra guest, since my mate won't stop harping about how beautiful it will be when Yrene actually gave birth. I had about half an hour before I was expected anywhere, so I started to Aelin's and my rooms when Dorian came sprinting up to me.

"Aelin... She's gone!...Library," when he said that last word, I suddenly felt the mating bond... snap! No, not snap but go so stretched, it may well have. I shifed into my hawk form, not caring about anything else, but getting to Aelin. I faintly registered Dorian shifting into a copy of my hawk and following me. I got outside the library, and stopped when I saw some sort of crown. It was silver with gold flecks and rubies embedded in it. The colours of Adarlan, so I could only guess that it was Dorians, who had just landed right next to me.

"Where is she? What the hell happened to her?" I said, almost shaking him. He only looked at me with fear in his eyes. I had a feeling that fear wasn't fear of me.

"That's the thing, I don't know."