Chapter 4

Emily-

I had officially made it through my first week of high school. It was a rainy Saturday morning and  l loved it. Fall weather was coming in early. I grinned widely closing my eyes again not quite ready to get up.

-

"Emily, its time to get up!" My mother yelled pounding on my door. I groaned loudly turning to grab my phone off the charger. It was only 11:00. I went to the bathroom and quickly brushed my teeth. I didn't bother changing my clothes, I really didn't see the point.

I trotted down the stairs and into the kitchen slightly bumping into my mother. "Do you have any friends you can go visit? Just for today." My mom asked out of nowhere. She hardly let me leave the house. Now she was encouraging me to go out.

I pulled out my phone and texted one of my friends before answering my mom. I waited patiently getting a glass of water. My phone vibrated in my pocket softly.

Yeah, like old times.

I'll be there in five minutes. I responded shoving my phone back into my pocket. "Yeah I guess so." I said finally answering my mom. She didn't even say anything. She continued doing whatever she was doing. I packed my backpack most likely staying the night.

I slammed the front door not even bothering to say bye to my mom. If she was going to act this way then so was I. I proceeded to walk towards his house. It had been a while since I had hung out with  Tom. He had stupid football practice all summer so I didn't even get to see him. Tonight we would hopefully get to catch up.

I finally was standing in his driveway slowly walking up to his front door. It was open so I just waltzed right in. I was greeted by Toms dad. He pulled me into a massive hug almost crushing me.

"Emily its good to see you around here again!" Mr. Hudson spoke loudly. I chuckled at how he had no idea how loud he was being. I used to be terrified of the guy but Tom explained that he's been working in the construction business for 15 years and his hearing isn't the best.

"Its good to be here sir." I tried to be equally assertive but failed miserably. Tom appeared at the end of the dark hallway.

"Are you staying the night?" Toms dad asked me.

"Would that be okay?" I asked not wanting to impose or anything.

"I don't see why not." He replied.

I loved how welcoming Toms family was. He was lucky to have such caring parents. I walked towards Toms room letting myself in. I was assuming he was in his bathroom since the light was on. I helped myself to a seat on his comfortable bed. I was excited for today.

There was a knock at the door even though it was cracked. Toms mom Patricia. "Hope you weren't waiting too long." She smiled setting the stuff down the bags of stuff. This time I gave her a massive hug.

"Okay so movie bag, junk bag, and ffood bag." She left before I could thank her. Tom came out and smiled widely. We pulled out the food from the greasy paper bag our mouths already anticipating it.

I opened up my sausage and egg burrito taking a big bite from it. Also taking a sip from my soda.

"Guess what?" Tom exclaimed enthusiastically.

Before I even had time to respond he held up a video game. I read the title and it was Grand Theft Auto V. I got very excited but I remembered that Tom had a stupid Xbox and wireless controllers. I had only played Xbox probably one time so I wasn't familiar with which control did what. I was skeptical of the new game but Tom was really happy about it so I went along.