Chapter 9

The vibration of my phone from my alarm clock startled me-doing its job I guess. I rolled over stumbling to my closet. Through squinted eyes I plucked a shirt and pants from their hangers and entered my bathroom. I took care of my business putting on the appropriate attire for the shithole known as high school.

I brushed my teeth and waltzed into the kitchen to make a quick breakfast. I slurped my cereal up flipping through the channels for anything remotely entertaining. I settled for a rerun of some old, cheesy soap opera. I giggled at the major cliches thought the show when I heard my mom come downstairs.

"I'll be in the car," my mother called walking out not sparing a second glance. I frowned getting up to put my bowl in the sink. I grabbed my backpack slinging it over my shoulder, walking out and locking the door behind me.

The car ride to school was tense and it was making me uncomfortable. I popped a gum in my mouth staring out the window. She dropped me off by the main hall and I left without saying goodbye. I was beyond annoyed with my mother and her nagging. I trotted up the stairs hesitating to enter his room. I knocked on the door quietly and watched as he approached me. He stepp ed back welcoming me with a warm smile. I returned one taking a seat at the front.

"Okay Emily, where should we start?" He intertwined his hands resting them on the desk in front of me.

"I guess enzymes is where it started going downhill," I answered truthfully.

He grinned widely and his smooth features became aligned with indentions that were adorable.

"Well, enzymes can speed up chemical reactions and lower the amount of energy needed to do so. That is why they are also considered catalysts." As he went on it started to not seem so jumbled anymore. But, I started concentrating so hard that I didnt even realize what he was saying.

"I want to see how much you know about the actual parts of an enzyme." He said retrieving a piece of paper that had three different enzymes that had places to label certain things. I stared at the paper hopelessly. We were back to square one where I didn't understand a single thing. I started jotting down random things that I thought I heard when enzymes were being taught. My eyebrows knitted together, I finally let my pencil fall. I hoped some of them were right.

He stifled a laugh trying to regain his composure and I looked away a bit embarrassed I guess is the word.

He came around the desk and kneeled down by my side. "Im sorry Emily I didnt mean to embarass you." I peeked at him through my hair. He placed bis hand on my knee rubbing softly. I guess it was his was of comforting me.

"Look at me," he said lifting my chin. I stared into his honey brown eyes. "You're trying and that all that matters." He whispered leaning in. I could feel his warm breath hit my lips. He inched closer and I moved a centimeter closer caught up in the moment. My heart was pounding and I dont think I was even breathing. But just as he got close enought to where I instinctively closed my eyes he pulled back.

He cleared his throat getting off the ground and asjusting his blazer. "I think we've covered enough for today. Dont you think?" He coughed awkwardly.

"More than enough."  I replied taking my things and moving to the back of the classroom where my spot is.

"What're you doing?" He looked at me genuinely puzzled. I smiled.

"First period Biology Emily Ross reporting for duty, sir." I giggled and  watched as he cheeks burned the lightest shade of pink.

"Right." He responded taking a seat at his desk pulling up the powerloint  before first period began.