Chapter 12

Mr. Desario-

Third period was my least favorite class. Though it was my Pre- AP biology class, and my brightest students, they were my most immature class. They were loud and obnoxious and thought they knew everything. Oh, and don't let me make one mistake, those assholes are all over it. There was five minutes until lunch and the class already had me down to the wire. I told them they were on silent until the third bell.

I was tidying up my desk while the students worked on their 6 weeks projects. Here at Thomas L. High School, and the rest of the P.I.S.D., decided on doing bigger more elaborate projects as the six weeks test, so the kids get an extra week to work on them.

I began editing my PowerPoints for this week since I would be flooded with six week projects to grade, I wanted to get ahead a little bit. The lunch bell rang and I let out a deep sigh stretching out. I thought about Emily. My offer, the way she looked at me when I placed my hand on her knee, I was just so infatuated with this girl. This very young girl who I knew I needed to control myself around. I was just so intrigued by her. Her flawed but captivating features. Her sad droopy brown eyes, her big cheeks, and her shy but beautiful smile made me want to melt. I didn't know much about this girl but the more time I spent with her the more I wanted to know.

"Mr. Desario," she called waiting uneasy in the doorway. I gave her a warm welcoming smile telling her to come in.

"No more Mr. Desario it makes me feel old. Call me Jake. Unless we're in class, of course." She nodded sitting on top of one of the desks. I noticed that she seemed a bit distracted by her phone and felt compelled to ask if everything is alright.

"Is everything alright?" I asked taking a sip from my water bottle.

"It's my mom again. She's trying to apologize and explain herself. I just don't want to deal with all the drama that comes from him anymore." She explained I could physically see her facial expression drop the more she talked.

"Him?" I questioned trying to clarify who he was. I immediately regretted it though. I was pushing her to talk more about a sensitive subject.

She stayed silent looking at her lap. I could physically feel the air thicken from the tension. I awkwardly scratched the back of my neck. "Sorry, I dont mean to pry im just-."

"Liam, my mom's ex husband. He's a shitty person with real issues. Like he's sick, I know he is. He hates taking his meds to stay sane, thus he acts like an asshole 90% of the time. He has um- hit my mom before. She has taken me out of school numerous times to help her pack faster and find a new home. Sometimes I was too sad to come to school and deal with bullshit there, so I would skip. Eventually I got truancy and didnt have legitimate excuses so I did my community service. Though I got sent to court again. Some crap about I did not reach the minimum amount of days in attendace to move on to the next grade. That was 4th grade going into fifth grade. Thats why instead of celebrating my 15th birthday this year im going to be celebrating my 16th birthday." She let out a deep breath slouching on the desk. I stared blankly at the floor at loss for words. I had no idea what I was suppose to say. I was caught a bit off guard when she told me everything, flattered, but shocked. Im glad she did though. Soon the quietness was gone as the chatter and laughs filled the hallways once more. Emily took that as her cue to leave and left through the second door.

Soon enough it was time to stay for an extra hour and a half after work hours to figure out what curriculum we "needed" and didn't. It was very stressful because hardly anything that was being taught these days was necessary. Yet I kept my mouth shut occasionally throwing in an idea on what could make our education system better.

An eternity later our session was over and we were free to go. It was a long ride hope and I wanted nothing more than to go to sleep. I began stripping yanking the sheets from my once neat bed and throwing it to the other side. I layed down trying to get in a comfortable sleeping position when my phone started ringing.

I swiped the green button letting out a frustrated sigh. I was growing impatient. It hasnt been the best day and the last thing I need is a late night phone call. It's a quarter til 10, I need sleep. "Hello?" I answered annoyed. And honestly I was too tired to feel bad.

"Is that any way to talk to someone you once claimed to love?" Sally. Her voice was an attempt at seduction and if I was eighteen again she would of had me right there. Had me scrambling to get dressed and run to her front steps. But, im not. It might have only been four years but I have changed. Clearly she hasn't.

"Piss off Sally im not playing your stupid head games anymore." I snapped some cringe worthy memories flooding my mind. I pushed them aside and hung up the phone. I let out a few long shaky breaths. My throat began to tighten but I wouldnt dare shed another tear over that bitch.

My phone rang once more and I had had it. "For God sake Sally leave me alone," I screamed into the phone but before I hung up I heard "now tell me something little bro what would your ex wife be doing calling you at this hour?" Shit. Shit. Shit. I panicked and hung up again. I quickly turned on my side and pretended to sleep until I actually was.