Chapter 8

Me and A.J. sat getting to know each other. Both of us trying to restrain from laughing as we swapped little tales about random things. He was an easygoing guy. It was nice not having to stress about finding the right thing to talk about.

While A.J. was telling me about a story when he was in day school I received a call from my mom. "We need to talk, come home immediately." Not going to lie my heart sank a little hearing that. I had no idea what to expect and I found myself growing anxious. I bided A.J. goodbye making sure to get his number first. I put it in my bag as I started walking down the sidewalk-well practically running down the sidewalk not wanting to piss my mom off even more.

When I entered the house my mom was at the table with her arms crossed over her chest. I could feel her scolding me though I never met her gaze. I took a seat opposite of her. "First, is there anything you want to confess," she asked raising an eyebrow. I knew now would be a good time to come clean, but I couldn't find it in me. I paused shaking my head slightly.

"Unbelievable," she screeched I winced at her slamming her hands on the table. I hung my head low chewing on my bottom lip nervously waiting for her to continue.

"Well, I'll tell you what I know. I know that you skipped fourth period. The school called me. With who, is what I'm trying to figure out but I'm sure that's in your phone somewhere right? Hand it over." She commanded and I obeyed sliding over my phone praying A.J. would text me if he hasn't already. "Also, you're failing biology. I haven't heard you tell me once about tutoring but you can bet your ass you will be going bright and early and any other days Mr. Desario is kind enough to offer.

"You haven't been in school but what a month? And you're already failing classes and getting referrals. What do you think thats cool? If you think I'm just going to let that kind of behavior slide you've got another thing coming Emily."

"Okay mom," I said trying to exclude the hint of annoyance I was feeling. Though it still came out snappy.

"You can take that attitude to your room while you clean it up." I turned around rolling my eyes knowing she couldn't see me. The good news is I had an excuse to play my music; I was cleaning. I entered my room and started making my bed, placing all the things I had scattered about my room on top of my comforter. I returned the things to their rightful places. I stared at my now spotless room feeling accomplished. Since I was already cleaning I decided to do the rest of the house which wasn't a lot.

After a couple of hours and the slightest break of a sweat I was done. Now I could lounge around without the nagging feeling that I'm going get yelled at. I plopped down on my bed avoiding my overflowing folder of unfinished assignments. Instead, I decided to take a nap.

-

The sudden pounding on my door made my entire body go numb for a split second. My knees barely buckled as I got up and opened the door frantically inhaling sharply. My mother stood on the other side with a grimace on her face.

"Who is A.J. and why did you skip with him," she questioned. I tried to surpress from cringing at the sound of his name. I pursed my lips taking a moment to decide what I wanted to say.

"I didn't skip with him, he approached me while I was sitting on the bench. I just met him today in fact" I answered. Her facial expression remained neutral as she turned around continuing to look through my phone.

"Go to bed soon, you need to wake up in time for tutoring tomorrow." She sighed closing my door. I kind of regretted taking a nap now. I was now laying down wide awake preparing stupid unrealistic scenarios for tomorrow.