Chapter 11

I tried to swallow the lump that was forming in my throat though it was no use. It only seemed to grow bigger. Mom sighed plopping down on the couch.

"What is up with you Em? You start focusing in one subject and slack off in the other?" She gave me her world famous 'not mad just disappointed' face. Which in all honesty felt way worse than her yelling at me.

"That was your english teacher. You took credit for someone else's work just because you were too busy talking to do your own?" I let out a deep breath, mostly from relief. I looked down at my feet nodding occasionally indicating that I was still listening, though I wasn't anymore.

Instead I was busy thinking about tutoring again. I thought about whether or not to make some petty excuse on why I can't go to tutoring tomorrow. Then I thought about what might happen if I did go. I didn't mind what almost happened and I was hoping to talk about it. I didnt know exactly what I was going to say but I couldn't find it in me to put it behind me.

I was tired and wanted nothing more than to just go to bed really early. Not that my mom would complain seeing as she was upset with me. She always hated getting calls from my school even for minor discipline issues like today. I trotted up the stairs and belly flopped onto my queen size bed. I curled up underneath the covers powering off for the day.

-----

I woke up on my own this morning not even struggling to find the motivation to get out of bed. It's amazing what happens when you actually het 8+ hours of sleep. I picked out a graphic t-shirt and my black flowy skirt that stopped right above my knees. It sounded like a weird combo, but it actually looked nice together.

After I got some clothes I took a quick shower and wrapped my wet hair in the towel. I peeked at the clock and it was barely going to be 6:15. When I got to thinking it was so much better this way. Not having to rush around still feeling unrested. I should go to sleep early more often too bad that wasn't going to happen. So I should enjoy it while it lasts.

After I finished getting ready for school I headed towards the kitchen making myself a bowl of cereal. I leaned against the counter top slurping the milk that was left at the bottom. My mother emerged from the laundry room getting my attention. "Oh, Emily, we're going to need to head out a little early today. Mr. Desario sent me an email something about a meeting around 8 ish. I told him if today was no good that he could just cancel all together, but he insisted that it was fine as long as we could make it." She explained taking a few sips from her coffee.

"Okay that's fine," I smiled putting my empty bowl in the sink. My mom ushered me out the door and into the car grabbing my bag before locking up the door. She dropped me off in a rush taking off without a second glance. I furrowed my eyebrows heading towards the science building. Once i got to the classroom I saw that it was dark and from what I could see no one was in there. I jiggled the door knob which was locked. I was confused my mom said the email said 7:10. It was 7:23. I sat down against the wall taking out my phone to text my mom.

I thought you said 7:10?

I knew it wasnt that much later but I was just making sure that's what she said. I sat on the floor waiting for five minutes. Though I got bored and went into the bathroom. I sat in the handicap stall going through my folder to make sure all my work was done. Which Im glad I did because I didnt finish filling out the revising packet for English. Anymore slip ups in that class and it'll be my ass.

A little time after I finished I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I had an incoming call from my mother.

Before I had time to greet her properly my ears were invaded by ungodly noises. If it wasn't uncomfortable enough I heard her mumble the name I thought I would never hear again "Liam, I've missed you." I ended the call not being able to bear another moment. It left an unsettling feeling in my stomach. I wanted to throw up. The more I thought about it the more it made me want to cry. Eventually I felt the tears weld up in my eyes and fell from them. How could she just go back to him? I thought to myself. Him of all people.