Chapter 10

I stumbled my way towards my second period not completely comprehending what had happened, or almost happened in 'tutoring' today. My mind was racing with thoughts that hadn't popped up until now. Before I walked I Mr. D stopped me checking his clipboard. "Emily, you will be sitting at table seven until the next seating chart." He offered a half-hearted smile, but my mind was in other places. I searched the room for table seven and was surprised to see A.J. sitting there. I took a seat across from him shooting him a slightly confused look.

"Have you always been in this class," I asked feeling slightly rude for not knowing if he had been in this class or not considering it's like the fifth week of school. I grabbed my notebook out of my backpack starting the stupid warm up.

A.J. let out a small cackle shaking his head. " No Emily, I've only been sitting in the third row for the past five weeks." I let out a nervous laugh throwing my eraser end at his face.

"Anyways I'm assuming you got in trouble when you got home. At first I thought you were just avoiding my message, but I figured you got in trouble and that's why your mom called when we were at Sonic." I cringed at his statement. Just great, I'm going to get to hear about this when I get home. I guess he noticed my expression because his grew concerned.

"Ugh, I'm going to get an earful from my mom about who is texting me. What all did you say," I asked rubbing my temples trying to mentally prepare for when I got home.

"I said hey, its A.J."

'"Yeah, I'm definitely screwed. Well, it was nice knowing you A.J." I deadpanned. He rolled his eyes scribbling down nonsense on his notebook as the alarm rang letting everyone know that their ten minutes of socializing were up and it was time to share whatever we wrote.

"Ms. Ross, would you like to share what you wrote. I'm sure it's amazing," Mr. D smiled. I swear he loved to pick on me. He never gave anyone else as hard of a time as he gave me. I looked around nervously. It seemed as if everyone's eyes were on me but it was all in my head. I heard the girl next to me let out a small sigh. She passed me her notebook to read aloud. I smiled thanking her and read her story about the first time she went to an amusenent park. I struggled a bit reading her cursive handwriting and Mr. Dosling was all over it.

"Struggling to read your own handwriting Emily," he raised an eyebrow at me. I started stuttering trying to think of something.

"Maybe next time you'll do the assignment and not steal Stephanie's work. Stop talking. You too Andrew." He scolded us returning to his desk giving us instructions to work on our six weeks essays. We all huffed and groaned taking out our drafts. Editing and talking, but mostly talking.

"A.J.," my new friend corrected the teacher. I wonder why he was bothered by his first name, but he seemed uncomfortable so I didn't bring it up.

A.J. was quiet for the rest of the period but i didnt mind the silence from our table. I kept quiet as well editing the many mistakes in my essay, adding transitions, making stronger claims and all that good stuff.

Soon the period was over and i was on my way to Algebra. It was an easy class. The teacher put on some music as we worked in partners on the giant review packet we had. World Geography was the same as well. Finishing up our review packet before our six weeks test. Since W.G. was all the way across from where i get picked up I had some time to talk to my friends. Jessica, a friend from journalism, poked my side giving me a side hug. I studied her appearance in amusement. Her quirky outfit meshed well with her personality. She was fun and outgoing and very honest. Sometimes she goes overboard with her honesty but hey, it was the best policy.

"Is... that pink mascara you're wearing," I ask staring at her bubble gum lashes. She giggled and nodded in response.

"Wow, I think you're the only girl here that could pull it off so well." I remarked gawking at how pulled together she looked.

"Soo.. anything you wanna tell me," she nudged my side as if I was keeping something. Well I guess technically I was keeping something,but it's not like anyone knew about that.

"Nothing I can think off." I lied shrugging my shoulders. I could get us both into a lot of trouble. I know something almost happened but I'm sure it was enough mishap to get me almost expelled. Worst case scenario of course. I always thought about those.

"Well I have some news for you," she exclaimed gripping my arm. I flinched at how excited she was, and incredibly strong. I nodded for her to continue with this good news of hers.

"Remember I was tekling you about this new guy? But i didnt get too into it because I didnt know what was going on?" She asked.

"Well, his name is Aaron, and he is officially my boyfriend." She was all giddy and smiles. She had all the symptoms of a post new relationship status. I was happy for her and just hoped he was worth the time.

"Im happy for you. But, I got to go my mom is texting me where I'm at." I wave goodbye breaking out in a jog to the car. I was expecting my mom to tell at me but she didnt. That wasnt even the most surprising thing, she actually smiled at me.

"I was thinking we could have a nice little mommy daughter night. Get some food, make a fort, watch movies you know like old times." My mom was chirpy and was in a genuinely good mood. She was a whole new person compared to the woman who was screaming her lungs out at me just a few days ago, but I think that's how mom's work.

"Yeah, that'd be great" I smiled accepting her offer. We got McDonald's, and on our way home we talked about our day a little.

Eventually, we pulled into the driveway of our house. I got the food and mom raced into the house eager to get a fort going. I helped her spread out the blankets and organize the pillows. I then returned to the kitchen to get our food and placed it on our little makeshift bed.

Mom put on the movie The Best of Me pretending to cry already. If you ask me I found it a little cliché but in the best way.

About twenty minutes into the movie my mom got a call.

"Hmm, how strange. It's your school." She deadpanned pressing the green button. My smile immediately fell along with my heart.

She stared at me the entire time she was on the phone. After what seemed like an eternity she hung up and tossed her phone on the couch.

"I want to hear you say it." She said crossing her arms.

I swallowed thickly.

A/N: shout out to my good friend LauraBecerra154 for inspiring me to update sooner than i would have. She just started her first book called Who Knew? Its a Shawn Mendes fanfic and she has got a pretty good plot planned out so check it out!!!