verse thirty-eight

Start from the beginning

"But there will be no alcohol for you, Audrey," I tell her. "If you don't feel well, we'll leave immediately," I say.

"Yes, mom," she says while rolling her eyes. And yet she's still smiling.

"Good, what time do we leave?" I ask Daphne. She shrugs. "Around nine?" she suggests.

"That's good for me," Audrey says, and I agree with her. After a little more talking, Daphne and Steve both leave.

I wonder what I should do for the day, and decide to walk to the woods.

Yes, I walked.

It's hard for me to adjust to the drastic change. I'm so used to flying everywhere I go. While walking towards the woods, I wonder if it's a good idea to take Audrey to that party.

But as long as I'm with her, nothing bad will happen to her.

What kind of friend are you, if you take your injured friend with you to a party, knowing that something can happen to her?

They are Souls for a reason.

Once in the woods, I suddenly hear a branch snap behind me, making me freeze in my spot. I squeeze my eyes shut, afraid that it might be Ian.

"Katharina."

Relieved, I breathe out and turn around to see Moonlight stand there. I smile at him and kneel in front of him. "Hey," I say and pet him behind his ears.

"I'm surprised to see you here."

I shrug. "I needed fresh air. Can you believe I freaking walked to the woods?"

"Don't exaggerate, everyone does that."

I roll my eyes. "But why walk if you can fly? But I can't do that now," I say and look away.

"We'll find a solution. Hakan and I are searching for answers."

I smile. "Thank you," I whisper. He nods his head. "Do you want to do something?"

I nod. "Yeah, I can use something as a distraction," I say and get on his back.

Together, we walk through the forest. "Where do you want to go?"

I think for a moment. Where can we go? There's not much in Hell.

"Take me to the mountains," I say. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," I answer. He starts to walk, while I try to come up with subjects to talk about.

"How old are you?"

"I have no idea, honestly. I don't keep track of my age, but I've only been in Hell for a couple of years."

"Oh, and for how long has Hakan been down here?"

"Eh, I think a little more than two centuries."

I'm stunned. "That long? I thought he's been here for a couple of years as well."

"He's older than that. Wolves die when they're about five hundred years old. Everyone is replaced immediately. God creates us every so often, but if He makes the wolves, it's because a couple has died or He creates them when they aren't enough of us."

"Wow, I didn't know you could get this old," I say.

"Now you do."

"So, God makes you, just like that? He sets a wolf in Hell and you eat the Souls?" I laugh.

"We do. God makes an Angel first. An Angel whose instinct is animalistic. An Angel who has a big hatred towards the Souls. And that Angel He sends to Hell, where we turn into wolves."