Chapter 3 - midnight tradition

The first Friday of the year marked the Slytherin-Ravenclaw tradition of what was generally known as the Secret Midnight Quidditch Opening game. It was quite a mouthful, they'd admit, but Natalia and Draco were only second years when they created it; they organised the first one at the end of their first year with the help of the Slytherin Quidditch team and a few friends Nat had made in Ravenclaw.

So the majority of Slytherin house was huddled against the cold in the common room waiting for the scouts to return and let them know it was safe to venture out to the quidditch pitch.

It wasn't long, and Natalia and Draco helped to herd everyone out in bubbles until they themselves had to leave and make their way there.

They mounted their brooms and took their positions, the spectators all huddled together, the older students performing warming charms around them all, and the referee - Hagrid - let the game commence.
Natalia, a chaser in the midnight games, had refused a position two years prior on the House Team as a chaser, primarily because it wasn't something she would enjoy competitively, and secondly because that would mean giving up her spot in the midnight games, for it was a rule that no one could ever play their official positions.
Draco too had refused to become a chaser, though his real reason (surprise, it wasn't because of 'that bloody Potter having the limelight all the time') was because he preferred to play alongside Natalia.

Natalia felt the wind rush through her hair as she weaved in and out of everyone towards Ravenclaw's goals to score - that was, until a bludger hit her square in the chest knocking her off her broom.

She could feel the charms of the watchers slowing her fall, the game paused until she could be healed, and the Ravenclaw beaters rushing over to apologise.

"Natalia, Natalia, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for it to hit you so hard!" a young girl, probably a second year, was nearly in tears. Draco rushed to her side, already placing healing spell after healing spell onto her broken bones and bruised skin.

"It's ok," she panted, still trying to catch her breath, "it's ok Draco is incredible at healing because I get hurt every game, I'll be ok."

A ten-minute time out and Natalia was back on her feet, scoring half the goals for Slytherin that night, though the real star was the tiny first-year seeker they'd chosen who caught the snitch.

Natalia and Draco nodded, hanging back after everyone had left, sitting in the bleachers together. They were aware that there were enough rumours about them, but it didn't phase either one of them, and both families knew that they would never be involved with one another; the risks their children would have to face would be too great to ever justify the joining of houses.

"How's your mum doing?"

Natalia rested against Draco, casting a few warming spells around them so they didn't catch their death of cold. "She's barely there anymore. Ranting and raving mad as usual, but her eyes were empty and lost."

Draco sighed, wrapping an arm around her.

Natalia White.

His dad looked as if he'd seen a ghost when he mentioned her at home over Christmas his first year, though he didn't know why until he brought it up with her. Natalia White was a half-blood, her father being a muggle of no magical descent, and her mother being of the Pure-blood Deatheater Rosier Family. As a Death Eater herself, no one could ever figure out why Daphne Rosier had married a muggle, though it soon became clear that he was her gateway to picking off muggles and squibs alike.

"Father says you're more than welcome at Christmas if you choose, but the tournament will likely be a huge part of the celebrations. I'm staying, but you're more than welcome to-"

"No, I'll stay. The Yule Ball isn't something I'd miss." She smiled, staring out over the grounds, watching as Hagrid's light turned off. He always secretly came out to watch the games, hiding away somewhere, but they all knew; they could hear his cheers and complaints whenever someone fouled.

"It's so peaceful." Draco smiled, a rare occurrence, even with Nat.

Natalia nodded, feeling at home in the darkness.