𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐚𝐠𝐫𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐢

Start from the beginning

But the thought of having another of Vittoria's dirty laundry in my arsenal motivated me to keep going. The water was much calmer here than on the east coast, harbouring rugged boulders and angry waves.

I had never been to this part of the island before. Here, the beach from the Shrine's facade extended in a narrow strip where the water gently wiped the shores. 

Vittoria walked over the sand gently, relishing the ocean air as it ruffled her curls. She stopped for a moment, threw her hair back, and took in a deep sigh. Meanwhile, I stilled like a statue and held back my breath, but she seemed to be completely oblivious of my presence.

After a few deep breaths, she headed north until the shore got slightly broader. I pursued her from the shadows of the woods that ran parallel to the beach until she stopped. That's when I noticed a small lagoon. The water reflection hopped on the nearby surfaces, mystifying to the lagoon.

Though what surprised me further was a small boat in the lagoon, no, scratch that. It wasn't exactly the boat that surprised me. The Matriarch sitting in the boat surprised me.

I watched Vittoria carefully get onto the boat. It seemed like the two of them weren't going to go anywhere anytime soon, so I decided to sit down among the cover of the trees and wait.

What could be the two of them doing here at THIS hour?

"You look more tired than you should," I heard the Matriarch comment. Under the glaring moonlight, I could see the Matriarch holding something narrow, long and cylindrical between her fingers that she put between her lips and took a long drag.

Her body visibly relaxed before she inclined back and eyed Vittoria. Beside her, a candle faintly flickered.

"I haven't had a good night's sleep in a while," Vittoria yawned before I saw her pull out something from a small cloth and put it between her lips. She lit it with the flickering candle before leaning back. Her body looked relatively relaxed as well. 

I watched with wide eyes as soon as I realized they were getting high. 

"I advised you not to get involved with the merchants," The Matriarch said sardonically. "You're going against the Codices,"

Vittoria laughed with the roll of weed between her lips and pointed, "So are you! Leave the Codices, for now, Arrieta... we're not here for those,"

"Regardless... I don't like those merchants laying their profane hands on the holy treasure," The Matriarch spoke, taking a long drag.

"What could be so holy about those treasures looted in invasions and obtained in war booties?"

"They're still the Shrine's treasures. The end justifies the means," The Matriarch shrugged, tapping the dust off her roll. In response, Vittoria chuckled before taking a long drag. "I find it hard to accept that you trust those merchants— they're the last one you should trust, especially with the shrine's treasures," Matriarch warned darkly. 

"If I could dare to trust you, then I could trust anyone, Arrieta," Vittoria returned with a darker inflexion. The Matriarch stared at Vittoria with a deathly stillness. I could feel the tension on that boat from my hiding spot. Imagining the Matriarch's pitch-black eyes staring at me in that manner pricked my skin with goosebumps. 

"One's words have consequences, Vittoria," 

"A lesson I know well,"

"The manner in which you speak don't say so,"

"Let it go, Arrieta. I was joking with you," Vittoria waved her hand, but I knew from the tone of her voice that she was anything but joking. The Matriarch's stare prolonged for another uncomfortable minute before she leaned back. Her eyes never abandoned Vittoria. 

"I didn't know you brought a guest tonight," she mused suddenly. It took a moment for her words to register in my brain. My eyes widened as soon as I realised they had detected my presence. As I got up to run back into the woods, crippling pain stabbed my stomach.

I bit my palm to remain quiet, but the pain grew until my legs felt numb, knocking me down. 

"Did I?" Vittoria mused. I tried to get up and leave, but the pain kept building on until I sensed someone stepping beside me. Vittoria sighed as she looked down at me.

"I've never seen someone trying so hard to die," Vittoria commented. Suddenly, the pain disappeared. I let out a gasp of relief, but the aftermath of pain lingered in the form of a numbing tingling sensation. I was gasping for breath when a pair of hands gripped me in a steely hold and dragged me down to the lagoon.

...

Read the next 2 chapters on Inkitt. Gain access to up to chapter 22 on Patreon. The links are in my bio. 

A/n> The wouldn't be any updates for May and the first half of June because I have exams. Also, I have to take up an important project on the side, so it will keep me A LOT busy. I might not be to stay as consistent with the updates after June. I'm not sure yet. I will let you know according to the situation. Keep in mind that there wouldn't be any updates in May on any platforms-- Inkitt, Wattpad, Patreon.

Though you can read the next 3 chapters on Patreon (one-time payment only because I have also disabled the payment system of my Patreon page until I'm able to give a proper updating schedule again).

I apologise for this, but I have to give more priority to other stuff for the upcoming months. This will leave me with a lot less time for writing, and hence my updates could be very unpredictable. Nonetheless, I will try my best to update because this book is my favourite.

Thank you so much for reading and supporting me so far ❤️