𝐋𝐗𝐗. 𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐝

-HIM-

"You heard me," she gritted, looking me in the eyes. For once, I saw my hurt reflected back in her eyes as they turned glossy with tears. "Step back from my brother," She gritted at me. Behind her, Theoron looked confused for a second, but I saw the previous terror in his eyes replaced by a sense of relief. It made my blood boil. I couldn't believe that this was happening.

I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. Nothing in this world could have prepared me for a shock of this kind. As I looked at my mate, I could have never imagined that she was Theoron's sister. Was fate playing a game with me? I didn't know, but it was going to take me some time to come to terms with this reality. It was finally making sense to me why she was so hellbent on urging me to leave Somirea.

Though I didn't get more time to let this settle in my head properly because more and more guards kept coming. As I got busy fighting them, I noticed her tending to her brother. The sight in itself deeply hurt and disturbed me. It cut a deep wound in my heart, and I doubted if it would ever heal.

While I was taking down the palace guards, the warriors finally arrived. Things were going to get bloodier from here. As they closed around the grand courtyard, I noticed Herran on the balcony of the second floor. He was back with heavy bandages wrapped around his head, and his sinister eyes were filled with rage.

"Kill them both!" Herran commanded, his voice echoing through the grand courtyard like a war cry. Instantly, the warriors answered back the war cry with a murderous roar, making the ground shake under my feet as their voices echoed through the palace. I tightened my fingers around my sword and glanced at my mate, looking around at the warriors in shock. Without wasting a second, I shielded her as the warriors closed in, running towards us, cornering us at one corner of the courtyard. What followed next was more bloodbath.

I let Drucaoth take control over me as I fought with the warriors, six at once, while they continued to have us cornered. We needed to get out of here anyhow. For a split second, I looked at her over my shoulder. She was fighting with something in her hand that looked like a dagger. I was surprised to see her skilful moves as she dodged a warrior's sword and, at the same time, managed to stab him right in the stomach.

I took down two warriors before reaching out to hold her hand. I was taking her with me either way. She looked at me wide-eyed as I told her, "You're still coming with me,"

She didn't get a chance to say anything because we had to fight more warriors. As soon as I found the way clear, I tugged her, heading towards the exit. By now, Lars and my other men were also fighting the warriors to get us out. However, we needed to get out of the soon because Herran kept sending more and more warriors.

We were almost halfway through the courtyard, in the open. I could see the way out of the courtyard, and all my focus was there to notice the archers lining the balconies of the second floor. I was caught off guard as arrows started raining. I got shot right above my heart and collapsed to the ground, but simultaneously, I pulled her down with me, using my body to shield her.

As more and more arrows kept raining, I cocooned her the best I could while I felt more and more arrows piercing through my back. I tightened my arms around her, pressing her body against mine as I took the arrows for her.

"Nico," I heard her whisper under me, hearing the pain in her voice while I squeezed my eyes shut, getting used to the pain. In my head, I was counting down to the seconds until the arrows could stop. Though I briefly opened my eyes to see terror and hurt in her eyes while she looked at me with tears. "You're hurt," She whispered.

"I'm glad you noticed," I muttered, trying my best to hide the pain from my voice. I was still confused about how I should have been feeling about her. Should I feel betrayed that she didn't disclose her relation to Theoron until this crucial moment? Or should I feel pleased to know who she is finally? Or should I feel grateful that I've finally found Theoron's sister?

Though above all, the most important question that I had in my head— Where had she been all this time? What made her come back? And most important of all... why was she hiding from the world? I wanted to ask her everything as I looked at her at that moment, but I saved my questions for later. We needed to get out of here first. I could always get the truth out of her once we reach Cromeria.

The arrows had stopped raining by now. I didn't waste a second to get up, shielding her with my body as I dashed for the exit. I tightened my fingers around my sword when I noticed some warriors at the exit. I used every last drop of energy in my body to fight them, four at once.

My vision started to blur as I took down the last warrior and took her out of the courtyard. I was covered with blood and sweat, and with every step, my body was weakening.

"Stop! Stop!" She kept shouting, but I didn't hear. She was coming with me; I kept telling this to myself in my head over and over. "You're losing too much blood!" She shouted at me, yanking her hand back. A growl rippled through my chest as I turned to her.

"I don't care, but I am not leaving you alone!" I growled back at her, snatching her hand and holding it tight. She held my gaze adamantly but as soon as she noticed that we were standing in a pool of blood, her eyes softened.

"Let me heal you first," she whispered softly, "please,"

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read the complete book on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: His Scarlet Match, Saint, Mr Night Part 2 and many other stories.

Follow me on Instagram- benita.ritz

Thanks for reading <3