Book 2: Chapter 7

-HER-

I glared into his determined eyes while butterflies fluttered in my stomach. I tried to tell myself that I shouldn't be feeling such things, but my emotions were overriding logic at that moment.

It made me more eager to see to what extent I could push him and what he'd do to me if I dared to cross the line. As if he could read my mind, his eyes were already daring me to push and test him so he could show me what he was capable of.

I swallowed hard.

"You're twisted," I commented.

"Don't act like you don't like it," He shot back, shutting me up for the moment. He reached for my hand and led me out of the suite.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked him.

"Why? Are you scared?" He asked instead. "No. Why would I be scared?" I asked, receiving a dark glance from him. The tip of his lips slightly tugged up as if he was amused. I tried to ignore the intense sparks running up my arm and trying to distract me.

He led me through some corridors, passing a few gardens and fountains before entering a room. Two women were waiting for us there, and as soon as they saw me, one pulled out a paper and a quill while the other neared me with a measuring tape.

Alex took a seat, watching them take my measurements.

"What is this for?" I asked, even though I could tell why my measurements were being taken.

"I'm going to make your clone," He answered dryly while looking through some sketches. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Does that mean I could return while the clone stays here?" I entertained the idea out loud. His head snapped towards me while his eyes darkened.

"No, I'll keep you here and send the clone to your brother," He corrected me, "But now that I think about it... it sounds like a good idea," He muttered. The wheels behind his eyes were already turning, "I'll discuss this with my mages and see if they could arrange something of this sort,"

I tried not to roll my eyes at him, but something about him told me he might be contemplating this idea. However, I disrupted him before he could come up with something stupid.

"Why are you taking my measurements, Alex?" I asked him grimly this time, "I told you I wouldn't be staying here for long,"

This further intensified the determination in his eyes.

"We're having a Royal dinner tonight, and I am taking you with me," He told me or rather commanded me. I clenched my jaw and glared at him.

"You're making it messier, Alex," I told him. "It's not good for your image,"

"Do I look like someone who'd care about my image?" He asked me. I bit my lip at the limit of frustration. I could see that he was employing these measures to pressure me to say yes to him, to stay here and be with him.

As much as a part of me wanted to do that, I knew better than to fall for this. Vittoria was waiting for me at the Shrine while my brother was most probably preparing his army back home. On top of this, engaging with Alex would mean adding fuel to a house fire.

This wouldn't end well, but how could I explain this to him? He wasn't thinking long-term. He was in the present, and he wanted me. I was living in the future while stuck in the past. I don't think I could afford to be with him.

"This will look nice on you," He told me, holding up a sketch. "It goes well with my Regalia," He added to piss me off even more.

~

In the evening, he sent the servants to help me get dressed before he visited my suite to take me to dinner. His eyes darkened when he saw me dressed up. After a long time, I was dressed up like this, with my hair done. I couldn't remember the last time I wore clothes like this.

He complimented me, circling me to look at my dress and hairdo. Meanwhile, I couldn't help but notice how good he looked in his purple Regalia studded with precious stones. His eyes burned on me heatedly, making blood rush to my cheek.

"You have to admit, I have an eye for beauty," He commented cheekily, kissing my hand. The sparks that erupted from there almost knocked my walls off, but I held myself together and glared at him.

He held my hand tighter before I could snatch it away.

"We have to leave now. We're getting late," He announced before leading me out of my suit again, never letting my hand go. I had no say here, and even if I said anything, I doubted he'd listen to me. So, I decided to save my energy and live in the moment for once.

I would be gone soon anyway. I might as well appreciate whatever moments I get with him.

"What are you thinking?" He asked me when I remained quiet.

"I'm thinking of ways to embarrass you at the dinner," I told him. He flashed me a smile.

"Save it for later, my dear. I'll be having important officials there. You need to make a strong impression on them," He told me.

"Why should I care?" I asked him.

"You should care. You'd be ruling beside me one day," He spoke, sounding severe this time. My heart fluttered in my chest, but I ignored it.

"Oh, and don't you think they'd be over to the moon to learn who I am?" I asked.

"We don't need to mention your relationship with the Somerian Royal Family yet," He told me. "Apart from that, it'd be fine," He told me. I shook my head. I couldn't tell if he genuinely believed this or if he was pretending to believe it.

"You're living in delusion," I told him. We were inside the grand building by now, and by the looks of it, I could tell that we were near our destination. We took another turn, and I saw a decorated door. I heard some muffled noises coming from inside. We were there.

He turned to me and stepped closer.

"Or maybe, I am being hopeful," He whispered before stealing a kiss from me. The doors opened, and we walked inside by the time the kiss registered to me. I was still shocked by the kiss when the whole room stopped and looked at us... or, more specifically, at me.

"I want you to smile and enjoy tonight, Theresa," He muttered under his breath and squeezed my hand twice before leading me further inside the room.

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on Inkitt for Free. Read up to the next 10+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

Also available on Patreon: Mr Night Book 2, A Touch of Desire, Monstre, Marmadoke and many other stories.

Follow me at Instagram - benita.ritz

thanks for reading<3