Book 2: Chapter 43

-HER-

Even though Alex agreed to take me, I could tell he wasn't pleased with the decision. But I was going, and that was decided, and I wouldn't let anything change that. Amidst all my raging emotions, the assurance that I'd be there calmed me to some extent.

I started preparing for the night before he could change his mind and tell me not to go. I wouldn't allow that. I immediately got busy checking my weapons and everything to ensure for the night.

I didn't have much, but I was determined to use everything. I had previously trained in the shrine and had survived a night of blood bath months ago when my brothers sent a fleet of assassins to get rid of me at once. I was confident in my ability to fend for myself.

But it wasn't the warriors I was afraid of. No. They were the least of my concerns. I was scared of the unexplainable things. Maybe it was my mind making things up. I'd be over the moon if such were the case, but I knew something was off.

There were just too many signs to ignore. After last night's bad omen, it would be foolish not to be careful.

Tension in the tribe grew enormously after dusk. Everyone, even the children, could sense it in the air. As the warriors prepared their weapons and packs, the rest of the people gathered around to wish them luck and meet them for the last time before they headed out.

Alex was with his men, ensuring everything again and again. Every time he glanced at me, a look of uncertainty crossed his face. I could tell he was still contemplating taking me with him, but I was determined.

Even if he forced me to stay back, I'd sneak out. That was my plan. I had prepared independently for all such situations. I wasn't going to let anything stop me. But no matter how much I prepared, the unsettling feeling intensified.

It made me agitated and restless. I wanted to get over it all and spend the rest of my time with Alex, exploring his body and strengthening our bond. Thinking about our bond made me feel giddy. It gave me something to look forward to in the immediate future, and it was the only thing keeping me from completely losing my mind.

That night, everyone had dinner early. The whole place was tense and silent, unlike last night when the tribe's atmosphere was filled with laughter, joy and music. Tonight, things were starkly opposite.

There was a scent of death in the air. I couldn't tell if others had smelled it, but I had, making me shudder. As the night grew darker, I grew more and more restless. I watched the shaman perform a small ritual to bless the warriors with strength and luck for the fight. It was starting to get serious.

Before heading out, Alex found me and pulled me aside.

"Remember, I allowed you to come with us, but you aren't allowed to insert yourself into the situation," he said sternly. I nodded, having already decided I'd do whatever the situation demanded, even if it meant taking things into my own hands. But I didn't tell him about it. He'd have held me back if I did.

"You're to remain hidden, Theresa, no matter what. " His commanding voice was firm, but I could sense that he was enveloped by chaos.

"Okay," I nodded as he stepped closer, gazing at me protectively.

"Promise me, Theresa," he urged. I knew he could tell I wasn't listening, but I didn't care.

"I promise," I said, throwing my arms around him and pulling him closer for a heated kiss. I needed that at that moment. I had missed the feeling of his lips against mine even though we had kissed in the afternoon.

"This is the first and the last time I'll be doing something like this," He told me gruffly as I brushed my lips against his, tempting him. At that moment, all the tension I had been feeling all day dissipated. I could only focus on him.

He groaned, unable to hold himself back anymore, and kissed me with a fierce hunger. It was a passionate kiss full of promises. I kissed him back with everything I had. We kissed and spent the remaining time together, making plans for the future despite no guarantee. In that moment, all that mattered was we were together.

Around midnight, Alex set out with the warriors, travelling north on the horses. I followed soon after, keeping my distance from their group. It was a dark night, and the sky was starless- all the more signs that it shouldn't have happened tonight.

I gritted my teeth as I rode after the group, prepared for whatever awaited us at the other tribe. I could hear someone riding behind me. The chief must have sent someone after me, but I didn't have the time to care.

We crossed the hills through a narrow pass. It took me a while to catch up with them, but when I did, we were finally at the tribal territory. The terrain here was somewhat rocky and uneven. I picked a vantage point from where I could look down at everything happening down at the tribe.

It didn't take me long to recognize Alex. He was leading the group to the tribe. They stopped at the entrance and waited. Something about the tribe felt unsettling. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but under the faint moonlight, I started to notice the signs.

The huts there looked abandoned, or maybe the tribe wasn't interested in maintaining their houses. Despite this, I couldn't shake it off.

I heard Alexandros declare his presence in the tribe, inviting the chief out. His voice boomed in the silent night. Still, nothing happened. No one stepped out of the huts. I found it odd that there were no guards at night. Or did they not need the guards?

The more I stared at the scene below, the more agitated I became. My eyes were on Alex the whole time, watching him.

Finally, a shadow stepped out of the cluster of huts. It was a tall tribal man, but his movement reminded me of the dead. Maybe it was the stiffness in his movements or the way his shoulders slumped.

He stopped in front of Alex, and they talked for a second. Although I couldn't hear anything from where I was, they were sparring fiercely. Alex was still mounted on his horse, looking down on the man.

Suddenly, the man speaking to Alex flexed his body, and Alex straightened up. In the next moment, chaos took over everything while I watched Alex clutch his chest and lean forward on his horse as if he were in intense pain.

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the full book on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

Also available on Patreon: Veronica's Fallacy, A Touch of Desire, Monstre and many other stories.

thanks for reading<3