𝐗𝐈𝐕. 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩𝐩𝐲 𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩𝐬

-HER-

"What did Vittoria say to you?" Nuncia asked tentatively after I had returned to my room. I then asked for her help to catch up on the studies. 

"Oh, she just asked me where I was last night," I lied, and I leafed through my leafy notebook. Meanwhile, Nuncia drilled her eyes into my skin. She was aware that I was saying anything but the truth. I could see it on her face, and she could see it on mine.

"So, what did you tell her?" She questioned carefully. A veil of grimness shrouded her face, expecting an honest answer which I couldn't give her. 

"I told her I was in my room," I answered coolly. 

"AShe believed you?" she ploughed. 

"Of course," I incited, earning a long, cynical look from her. 

"I just cannot with you," she murmured, resuming sewing the fabric.

"Anyway, you're supposed to help me with this," I told her, tossing my manuscript at her.

"I'm not supposed to help you. You asked for my help," she clarified.

"Let's start. I want to get over with this before we go for dinner,"

"I have a condition," she declared. I didn't have to guess what was coming next.

"I wasn't in my room last night," I confessed before she could ask. 

"Hah! I knew it! So where were you last night?" She insisted. "I wouldn't help you unless you tell me the truth!" She demanded.

"I can tell you the truth if you wish to be executed right after it," I said casually, trying on a piece of clothing she had sown yesterday. For some reason, it fits me.

"Royal secrets," she groaned and slumped back. "She sent you to meet your brother those days, didn't she?"

"You overthink," I informed. 

"Your brother humiliated you in front of nobles, so you have to come back, and this pissed off Vittoria. She must have said some nasty things to you. Knowing your nature, I wouldn't be surprised if you were out there somewhere, digging her secrets," Nuncia jumped to conclusions. The accuracy of her jump made me freeze. 

She was close to that digging part.

"You talk like a madwoman sometimes," I told her. 

"Sure, I'm a madwoman if you are the most honest person alive to walk this earth," she taunted. 

~

The next day, I sensed her in my room before sunrise. Her mere presence was enough to wake me up. I laid awake in my bed, with my eyes still closed, listening to the gentle ruffle of her dress as she entered my room quietly.

She stopped abruptly by my bed and didn't say anything. I had my back to her as I slept away. After some long moments, I felt her hot breath fanning the side of my neck.

"I know you're awake, Theresa," She whispered. Her voice possessed an eerie, mystical resonance that sent a shiver down my spine. I didn't dare to open my eyes. "I will be waiting by the east shore. Don't be late and don't wake anyone up," she ordered and left.

I sat up to find my clothes of disguise neatly folded by my bed. They turned out to be the same ones Nuncia had been sewing for the past couple of days. I quickly changed and went to the east shore. Vittoria was there with a boat, grimacing at the horizon. 

Together, we pushed the boat in the water. Vittoria handed me the oars as soon as the boat was in the water. Instead of rowing with me, she sat back. I glared at her as I oared to the abandoned harbour alone.