It IS her

"Court Rise!!"

And everyone rose. Mr and Mrs Austin Orlu had only one thing to be thankful for, and that was the fact that their family turned foes at least heeded their pleas and didn't let their daughter be part of this court session. Besides that, they'd rather be in the Sahara than to be here.
It was completely disheartening to Comfort Orlu, Austin's younger sister. She wasn't a lawyer, not even close, but if they had let her, she would have fought till the next century that her brother was innocent. Unfortunately, she had to remain in her seat for the good of all.

"My Lord, the case before us is case 109, the charge of 1st degree murder of Mrs Adunni Reginald" the clerk then took his seat.

The judge looked at the defense council from above his glasses "what's your plea?"

"Not guilty my Lord"

"Prosecution, proceed"

The stout black man cleared his throat and stepped forward.
Everything he said was jibberish to Austin, not only could he not make out the words but the ones he could were also filled with lies. As for Betty, they flew in from one ear and out the other ear. Her mind was only with her daughter and only child, who must be cold and alone right now, she didn't even notice when the tears began to fall afresh.

"Objection my Lord" Cornwell arose

"Objection sustained, proceed"

"Thank you my lord. My lord it is just as unclear that my client did poison Mrs Adunni as it is that he didn't. You cannot say he was the one just because it was his party. It is not the first time someone has died at a party. And we can't put it in the host just because he is the host, what about heists, hired killers that take advantage of such situation as the innocent occasion my client put on, just to execute their plans? what about.."

"That's enough Defense," the jugde raised his hand and Cornwell sat back.
That really was enough, enough to remind Austin and Betty of what their daughter said to them the day before their arrest. 'I will not lie to you' her voice echoed in their heads again. Yes, someone did take advantage of the occasion to do this..

"Prosecution, any counter?"

"My Lord, let's be rational about this. The lady fell twice, once a week before her death. She was said to have a stroke the first time, but the doctors result came back to show that she was being given little amount of poison right from that time. My Lord the only place this woman ever goes to besides her humble dwelling in her village is her daughter's house. Which is the only place she had gone to just before her death. My lord it is a painful thing but it is true what they say. That the ones you trust the most always turn out to be the green snakes. And my lord the had a motive. N500,000 insurance to Mrs Adunni's name should she die. An inheritance to Mrs Betty Orlu, according to her will. Why not wait for the woman to die peacefully, no, Greed would not allow it"

The entire court gasped at the mention of half a million naira and some even began to shake their heads and throw spiteful looks at the accused.

"I need hear no more" the judge packed the papers in front of him into a neat pile

"The verdict would be given shortly" the clerk announced. "Court rise!"

*. *. *.
It wasn't the glorious White Jeep, it was just a small grey Camry that drove into the village that afternoon.it didn't gather any crowd but Pharoah still followed it, abandoning the mission he had, with his friends to bring down a certain amount of almonds from the almond tree. He was leading the team but when he saw the car, he stopped the stone in his hands and beckoned on them to continue, he would be back.
He followed it to the same house where the Jeep had stopped and he immediately knew who it was. He couldn't really explain why he was excited, what would be even say to Damaris if she did step out if that car, maybe he was just happy to see her again. He hid behind some bushes. The bushes surrounded the whole compound. When he saw a familiar man come down, he eagerly waited for the next passenger to alight. Indeed it was Damaris..
But wait, there's something missing, that smile that brightens up the world in the midst of a storm, her face wasn't glowing at all. He tried to compare the image he had of the girl who smiled always and bounced gingerly around, the girl who laughed so many times and whose laugh was so nice, you were forced to look and laugh as well. That image with the miserable one in front of him right now, clashed terribly. He watched as she dragged her two heavy looking boxes down from the car and started to the house. He wanted to help, but had a second thought. He would come see her later, for sure.
*. *. *.

The court session was back on and the hall was tensed up as every eat was peaked to hear the verdict of the judge.
After the judge sat down, he looked at both the prosecuting council and the defense council, at the accused and at the entire hall. He shook his head, somewhat in dismay, and looked up . He cleared his throat and began

"After all has been heard. It is rather evident that the day and time of the incident is a point that is not on your side" he was addressing the accused

"Again, the poison of the incident of tea stroke and the one at your party is an exact match. It was your hands that made that food Betty and it is one coincidence too many." He stopped and sighed, then continued "Mr and Mrs Orlu, you are hereby sentenced to 60 years without parol" with that he banged the gavel and the case was closed.