The girl is important

"I don't understand what you are saying"

Stanley had somehow made his way to the Orlu residence that Matthew was now occupying. He staggered inside and almost fell but Matthew caught him before he hit the ground. There was dry blood stains all over his face and arms and he looked pale. After taking him straight to a room and into the bathroom, Matthew made arrangements for fresh clothes. Now he and  Stanley were in the living room.

The story Stanley narrated was a very pitiful tale. What monsters had the mind to do that? What insane maniacs would come into a man's home, rob him and beat him up so bad, he almost passed out and had to run for his life with the only window of escape he got. The story would bring any one with a heart to tears, but all Matthew was concerned about was the part where Stanley said he left the raiders with his neice.

"Oh... I don't know what they did with her, all I know is that my life was in my hands. And I couldn't throw it away for that girl"

"I will soon throw your life away for you. Do you know that it's only if that girl is alive that the wealth of her father remains with us? What if they come to check on her like we know they would, you would tell them your life was in your hands. Stanley better find that girl and bring her to me if she is too big a responsibility for you" Matthew was practically shouting. He was standing above Stanley who gave him a nonchalant look.

"I don't understand her importance oo, but I will find her. The raiders are still in that village so it won't be too hard."

"Good" he sat down and stretched his legs

"Oboy, I'm hungry oo"

"Mtcheww.... E get anytime wey you no hungry?"

Stanley laughed "Abeg na"

Matthew smiled a bit then turned his head to call out "Sandra!!"
*. *. *.

This time of the day and this Thursday would make it 4 days, 15 hours, 36 minutes and a few more seconds that Mrs Dianne Denwii had not stepped foot out of the room. She had wailed the first two days, uncontrollable and loud sobs, but after then and till now, she was just staring at a distance and soliloquizing, a lot. It was almost as if she was going mad and Nicholas didn't know what to do about it. What could he do, he had explained why he didn't return with their son. He had tried to ensure her that her son was okay. He told her that he would bring Pharaoh back, even as he said they weren't completely safe, themselves.
But she just couldn't understand. She wasn't eating either.
His son in one hand, his wife on the other, the villagers around him and that girl that he son just had to put his life on the line for. Who exactly is that girl to him?
Perhaps God took pity on him and decided to give him a day of rest. He couldn't go to his farm as often as he needed because of the trouble that would follow him there, be there with him and follow him back. He kept his wife on a lockdown. He sighed in misery as his predicament played on and on in his head and sat down in front of their house. The evening breeze gently caressed his face and the atmosphere was sober as the yellow-red sunset glowed in a distance. The moment lingered on for some time, then Diane walked out. She sat by him but didn't look at him, and them she asked, almost in a whisper.

"My son is okay right?"

"Dianne I told you he's fine." He looked at her and took her hand's in his, but she still didn't look at him.

"What about the girl?"

"She's fine too" he turned his head back to look at the evening sky again.

"Thank you" she drew closer to him and laid her head on his shoulder. He leaned on her, his chin above her head, and the rest of the evening went without another word. Nicholas didn't know what to say then and definitely didn't know what he would say at the village meeting he was being summoned to, the next day.

*. *. *.

Yet another day and Pharaoh just came back from the bush garden a few miles behind the little cottage place he now stayed with Damaris and Jaguar. He went to get some vegetables that Jaguar had sent him to. Damaris had made quite a good meal the day before and today there was no doubt same would happen. He set the leaves on the stone pavement, raised above the ground to serve as a table. Damaris was already throwing things into the pot. He didn't know why, impulse or whatever, but he walked to her and gave her a hug from behind.

"What was that for?" She smiled

"I don't know" he raised his shoulders and flashed a bright baby smile, at which she couldn't help but laugh. That was cute.

"So what did he say?" She looked directly at his face.

"Well" he leaned against the stone pavement, "I was kind of excited when he came.. but you know, I had to control myself. I asked him if he was angry with me. He said he won't deny that he was very upset, but he was just relieved that we were okay. Then I asked him about my mother, she's fine, just withdrawn, a little depressed" he paused and looked down "just like I knew she would be"

She didn't know what to reply, she just gave him a sober reassuring smile and hoped that it would be enough.

"I then asked him about the villagers," he chuckled "they really want our necks" the both of them laughed. When the laughing died down he continued "Now he has a meeting to attend. He said he would try and be here today, if not, we should understand. I already do sef"

"Yeah, I do too"

There was a little awkward silence
"So whenever he comes back, your own interview will be next"

"I know right. I hope I'll be able to talk well"

"No, my dad won't put any pressure on you, I know him" he placed a hand on her shoulder.

She smiled at him, then started with the leaves.

He joined her "have I ever told you that I like your smile?" He just wanted to lighten the mood. Somehow, her countenance fell after he said those last words and he noticed it. He blamed himself so he wanted to fix it.

She blushed "I usually get that from my parents and a few other people. But coming from you, it's extra special"

"If you people are done with your.." Jaguar cleared his throat "..scene, would you both like to play a game of ayo?"

"Yes, I love that game" Pharaoh came alive at the idea but Damaris grimaced

"I don't know that game, but I would still like to play"

"That's not a problem, the fun is even teaching the game. I haven't played that game with people for a long time, and now I get to teach it" Jaguar smiled, revealing his scattered set of teeth

"That would be nice" she smiled back

"You sound like you also have a lot of stories to tell, and I love stories" Pharaoh walked closer to him

Jaguar laughed heartily, like they said father Christmas laughed "I do"

The meal was as nice as Pharaoh knew it would be. Now they were seated around the ayo game, Pharaoh and Damaris were on one side and Jaguar on the other.
This was the second round they were playing and Damaris was already getting the hang of it. As they played, Jaguar told them stories of wild adventures, it was hard to believe they were even true, but they were very interesting and undeniably funny.

"And that was when I believed, anyone who goes to that lake never goes back the same, I only escaped because of my good wits and sharp skills" he gestured with his hands in the air, signifying his conquest

"Ehn...." Pharaoh exclaimed in sarcasm and Damaris fell on her back, laughing.

"That was a very nice story, almost unbelievable" she said amidst her laughter

"Almost" Jaguar repeated, as he laughed too

"Okay, okay, there's a particular story I want you to tell me" Pharaoh adjusted himself on the spot where he sat, on the rafia mat.

"What story is that?"

"I want to hear the story of how you and my dad became friends, and please don't add that it was at war"
Jaguar laughed again, but then comported himself. He went silent for a while, which only increased Pharaoh and Damaris' curiosity as they both stared at him intently, then he cleared his throat
"Well.."