Another week passed

Another week passed. The Orlu family was still in mourning. The sun was rather high outside, the perfect whether for a dip in the pool or at least to swing on a bench underneath the shady tree that was at the right end of the compound field. She loved to swing there while reading her books but this Saturday, the closest Damaris got to it was the look she occasionally gave it from her room window, upstairs.
She had no intention of going downstairs.
Even if the living room wasn't filled with elderly men and women, some she recognized, some she didn't. Even if the atmosphere down there wasn't so tense, one could cut through the tension with a knife. Even if there was no drama on going that was fit to be cast as a scene for some movie on Africa Magic, she wouldn't still go down.
Yes, downstairs a meeting was being held. The meeting Mr Austin had dreaded since this whole thing began. The meeting in which he was seated facing the rest of his in laws, and it was all so painful and discomforting that his wife would not stop crying.
Sandra, assisted by two other women, served the guests with cans of malt and little floaters of small chops and chicken. Betty on a stool adjacent her husband. She was surrounded by four ladies, about her age. They were consoling her, trying to stop her endless tears.
"Austin, I remember your heart felt speech that day" Chief Ottu cleared his throat and spoke again. "Our mother was called a wonderful and beautiful woman from your own mouth. And  she was. What we don't understand is the English you are speaking now. How is it that in the space of then and now she is not sitting, alive, in our midst right now?" From the tone of his voice, it was very clear that he was trying to contain his anger. He clutched his walking stick with his both hands  and moved a little outward on the sit he was.
"Austin our mother was just 76, a strong and vibrant woman she was, even before she began to sit on that wheel chair just a while back. How come that little accident didn't kill her, now you are telling us poison.. food poisoning" Chief Dike rose his hands in front of them. The pointer and thumb of left hand were almost touching themselves and he was swaying them (signifying 'nearly' or 'very small') "poison, Austin, killed our mother. If it's you, how would you react?"
"Tah.. tufia.." and other clamouring arose from the house.
Some of them shook their heads, and sighed, some grimaced and mumured, others just looked at Austin, awaiting an answer.
Austin lay his head low. He didn't even have an answer for himself.
"So what was the last thing she ate?" An older woman spoke up after the chatters died down.
Betty looked up "a cup of tea ma. Before then she had only eaten the party rice that we prepared for the little celebration we put up to acknowledge our daughter's success" her voice was timid. She hated that her husband was being spitefully interrogated by her relations. Her father was dead. In her house were her uncles, her three elder brothers, her three sisters, and other aunts and cousins. Not one of her husband's relations was present and that was understandable. She decided to speak in a defensive manner throughout the meeting.
"And who prepared that meal?" The woman asked again
"I did ma. Eh... Sandra and my daughter helped me. It was just us" she wiped the tear gathering in her eye again.
"Okay, everyone is a suspect. They should be here. The doctor said it was something that was present in her system even before her last meal."
"Today, we are getting to the end of this because it is painful. Our mother, the one that brought us all together. And at such a young age, no nau.." Ottu spoke again
"No, please don't send for my daughter. She is heartbroken. She wouldn't speak, I won't want her to" Austin finally said
"What is that.. she will talk." A lady said. She looked a lot like Betty, only a little older.
"I understand Austin, let's leave the girl out of this, she is just a child" Chief Dike said. He was obviously the oldest of everyone in the room.
*. *. *.
Austin and Betty were both lying on their bed. They weren't talking, she was just lying on him.
The meeting was a long one, that only ended because of time. It was inconclusive but the house would not bury mama until the culprit was found out.
A knock was heard and Betty answered
"Come in"
"Mum, Dad I have something to tell you" Damaris entered. Her fingers were interlocked in front of her as she walked in meekly.
"Sure darling, what is the problem?" Betty sat up, her husband did same as they both got concerned.
"It's about grandma".

*. *. *.
He was just staring out into nothing exactly. The expression on his face was indescribable. His normal friend wasn't by his side, no, his box was not with him today. He wondered. He wanted to be happy, he really did. In fact, what he felt was a weird kind of happiness, what he was actually feeling was regret. Or something like that. So Pharoah passed, his intelligent son was among the best 13 and even earned a scholarship, out of almost 100 pupils. Why did he think it was the wrong thing, just because he couldn't afford a higher education, he failed to see the smart, eager, hardworking good son he was blessed with.
He was still wondering when that same son came out of the house
" Oh, daddy, good afternoon" he greeted with a warm smile
"Oh Pharaoh, my son" he managed a smile "How are you?" He didn't know how to apologise to his son, literally
Pharaoh understood. It wasn't the first time his father owed him an apology and always atoned by being extra nice.
"I'm fine dad, I'm going to play"
"Oh, that's good."
Pharaoh turned to go
"Um.. Pharoah"
"Yes dad"
"Be safe oo, don't injure yourself"
Now he sounded like mum but Pharoah contained his excess smile. "Yes dad, I will" he ran off.
It was going to be a good holiday.