Chapter 26

I wake up, feeling well rested and happier than I have in years

I wake up, feeling well rested and happier than I have in years. Joslyn's head is resting on my chest, her dark hair splayed behind her as she breathes deep and evenly, her sheets twisted around our entangled bodies.

The sun is just starting to break through the sky, peeking through the curtains and spilling across her back to make her tan skin look golden. I lazily glide my fingertips up and down her soft, smooth, sleep warmed skin, loving the feeling. Her dark lashes flutter against her rosy cheeks as she begins to stir beneath my fingers, and she snuggles closer to me.

Eventually her stunning hazel eyes slowly open, catching the light just right to make the emerald green flecks shine against the gold concentrated around the pupil. She tilts her head up to look at me, and the corners of her lips turn up in a sleepy smile.

"Hi, beautiful," I murmur, my voice still husky from sleep.

She blushes, shying away from my gaze by burying her face in the crook of my neck. "Hi," she squeaks out adorably, making me chuckle.

I kiss the side of her head and brush some hair off her shoulder, trailing my hand down her back and around her thigh that's hooked over my middle. I rest my hand just above her knee, gently massaging. "How do you feel?"

She pulls her thigh from my grip, rolling over onto her back to stretch. "Good," she replies while trying to stifle a yawn.

I roll onto my side, propping my head up with my hand. "I guess so, you're still here this time," I tease, but I instantly regret my joke the moment her face falls and remorse washes over her features. "No, baby. No, no, no. Shit. I'm sorry. That was an awful, awful joke," I admit, reaching out for her and hooking my arm around her waist. I pull her body across the few inches of space separating us, placing soft kisses all over her face.

"It's ok. I'm sorry," she says, trying to hide her wounded tone.

I shake my head, placing a soft kiss to her lips. "Don't be sorry. I made a really bad joke I didn't mean. I'm sorry, baby. I understand now what happened, and I don't blame you," I assure her, but she still refuses to meet my gaze.

My heart hurts for her, and I realize just how much of an asshole I was to her these last few months when trying to demand the truth from her. And the hurt in her eyes when she told me the truth at the awards show in front of Chris, and I essentially called her a liar...

I touch my hand to her cheek, leaning in to brush my nose against hers. "I love you."

Her features soften, and finally those big hazel eyes meet mine. "I love you, too."

I place my lips on hers, exchanging slow, sweet, lazy morning kisses. My lips trail to her cheek, down her jaw, to her neck, and across her shoulder. "This is new," I comment, brushing my fingertips along the side of her ribs, tracing the black ink etched into her skin. I saw it last night, the long stemmed rose tattoo running vertically down her side, something she must have gotten in the last year or two.