Chapter 24

As promised, by the time Joslyn and I sneak out the back exit of the store, Daniel is there waiting for us behind the wheel of my car

Daniel drives us back to my condo, parking in my designated parking spot and leaving in his own vehicle shortly after, leaving Joslyn and I alone. We trudge up to my condo where I immediately flop down on my couch, loosening my tie, exhausted both mentally and physically. I try to relax, my muscles strung tight from stress induced tension.

Joslyn shrugs off her coat at the door and walks over to the kitchen, draping it over the back of one of the bar stools. She then walks over to the refrigerator, grabbing two bottles of water before opening some of the cabinets, finding a bottle of Tylenol. Juggling everything, she walks over to the couch, offering me both a bottle of water and the Tylenol.

"Thanks." I shake out two pills and pop them in my mouth, chasing them down with some water, wishing it would burn my throat and course through my veins. But those days are behind me. From the moment I found my dad... I promised myself I wouldn't end up like him. Then again, I made that promise to myself before when his drinking and drug usage first started years ago, and look how that turned out.

I turn to look at Joslyn sitting on the opposite end of the couch, staring blankly at the water bottle in her hands that's resting on her lap. As if feeling my stare, her head lifts up and her eyes meet mine. It's a silent exchange, neither one of us saying a word, but somehow I feel like we're saying everything.

Leaning over, I place my hand on her wrist, my thumb brushing over the back of her hand. I'm still not entirely sure what to say, but I don't think words are even necessary at this point, actions speaking louder than any verbal exchange.

"I'm going to go get out of these clothes," I inform her, giving her wrist a small squeeze before standing up, and she nods.

I walk down the hall to my bedroom, going straight to my closet. I strip off my suit and throw on a t-shirt with some sweat pants. Once I'm changed, I walk over to the bathroom, splashing my face with cold water. Looking up into the mirror, I stare at a man I don't recognize. A man I haven't recognized for a long time.

Letting out a shaky breath, I lean over the sink, planting my elbows on the counter top, folding my arms back to try to massage some of the stress knots out of my shoulders. The last 72 hours have been one hell of an emotional rollercoaster. And even now, when it feels like the battle is over, I know the trauma is something I'll have to live with forever.

Composing myself, I walk back out to the living room, finding Joslyn in the same position, blankly staring at the unopened water bottle gripped between her hands. I crouch down in front of her, placing a hand on her knee to gain her attention. "Do you want to go get changed?"

As if in a daze, she nods, standing and walking down the hall to my room. I stand up and take her spot on the couch, rubbing my hands over my face, feeling guilty. I put her through hell today, and why she put up with it—why she even came here in the first place—is still a mystery to me.