Chapter 8

Exiting the rooftop, I feel a heaviness settle over me, an uneasiness

Exiting the rooftop, I feel a heaviness settle over me, an uneasiness. I knew tonight could go wrong, I just never expected it to go this wrong.

From briefly spatting with Chris to Alex full on breaking Brody's nose, everything has been an unfathomable blur. An unfortunate night of events caused by me.

Physically present or not, I always knew I would be a cause of controversy for the evening, the album centering around me, but I never intended on stirring up more distress for Alex. I didn't even want to come tonight at all. I knew that I had to though, to save face for my boss. And I can't be backing out this early in case I need to avoid more events in the future.

Maybe I shouldn't attend any more events at all and just give Greg my two weeks' notice now. I should have just ran for the hills the second I saw Alex again, but my pride is too robust to let Chris win again. As much as I hate it, I made a promise to myself. I can't spend my whole life in fear of one man, so I'm going to have to suck it up and do my job with as little contact as possible with the new second party.

I absolutely love my job. I love the lifestyle, the semi disoriented structure with a new, exciting schedule every week, but I never want to resent it. I don't ever want to look back and say why did I choose this career, and I definitely don't want to look back and think about how unhappy I was working with someone in particular, making myself miserable with my dream job. I also don't want to regret leaving home to selfishly start my dream all over again... Still, I'm going to let it play out a few weeks before I make any rash decisions. 

But six months... Alex told me that he signed on the dotted line to be with Addison for at least six months, which means I'll also be around him for that time. I know behind the scenes they're a real couple, but the whole deal to exploit themselves doesn't settle well with me. To go out of their way to make it known to the world that they're together instead of having more private moments. I can't imagine having a romantic relationship be more of a job than a real connection.

In the elevator down to the lobby I pull out my phone and order a car back to my own hotel. I definitely can't stay here anymore, nor do I think I'm welcome. I want to tell Greg goodbye, but I'm too embarrassed to go back into the party now, knowing at least half of the people in there saw the whole showdown.

Shit. Greg.

He probably saw the whole thing go down and has a million questions. How do I even begin to explain everything to him? Or do I? For all he knows, and everyone else, it's just beef between Alex and Brody.

Feeling a headache coming on, I decide not to worry about it right now. I just want to go back to my room, take a nice long shower, and curl up in bed.

Standing on the sidewalk in front of the hotel waiting for my car, someone roughly grabs my arm, spinning me around to face them. I let out a little yelp of surprise and pain, turning to see a fuming Chris in front of me.