Chapter 13

"Joslyn!"

"Joslyn!"

I look over my shoulder, searching for the unfamiliar voice shouting my name. And then it turns to voices.

Shouts ring out and flashes go off, all directed towards me. The paparazzi begin shouting my name, asking questions, and at one point I faintly hear someone mention Hallie's name directly, making my blood run cold.

No.

I want to run, but my feet seem to be frozen to the ground.

How the hell do they know my name? How do they know anything about me? Hallie.

"Joss," I hear Joe's voice, and then he appears in front of me. His brown eyes are calm on the surface as he looks down at me, but I can see the wild confusion, the fear, brewing deep behind them. "Let's go." He grabs my upper arm, gently but forcibly urging me and my concrete feet down the carpet.

"Come on, Joss." Suddenly Zack appears next to me with the other boys. He places his hand on my lower back, helping Joe guide me inside while Travis and Ryan walk in front of us, forming a path through the crowded, hectic carpet.

I hone in on Zack's profile, unable to gauge his emotions. "I'm sorry," I choke out. "I'm so sorry."

"It's going to be ok," he assures me as we finally make it to the entrance of the venue, the boys pulling me off to a corner to get a bit of privacy.

"I'm sorry," I repeat, feeling helpless. Tears start to prick my eyes and I feel guilt start to gnaw at me again.

"Joss, what's going on?" Joe asks, now standing in front of me, hands gripping my shoulders to make me focus on him.

"I-I don't know," I admit.

I feel so confused, so exposed, so vulnerable, and so... violated. I feel like a drop of blood in a shark tank, everyone hungry to sniff me out and tear me to shreds. Expose me until I'm just flesh and bone to a world full of strangers who wouldn't give a damn about me if we crossed paths merely a week ago.

"I don't know what's going on. I didn't say anything. Zack I-" I choke on my words, looking at his concerned face, thinking about all the mess I caused for him. For his daughter. "I'm so sorry," I sob, the only words I can seem to express, tears starting to fall down my face. I know how much Hallie means to him, and I can't believe I was so careless and essentially exposed her to the world, manifesting Zack's greatest concern.

He takes in a deep breath through his nose, his eyes softening a fraction. "It's ok," he says honesty, running his hand up and down my back, but it only makes me want to cry more. I want him to yell at me, to admit that I fucked up big time and don't deserve his forgiveness.

"No, it's not," I object, my chest tightening and it suddenly feels hard to breath.

"Jesus, Joss." Joe pulls me into his chest, tightly squeezing me. "Breath," he instructs, and its then I realized my breaths are coming out short and quick.