Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Danny rolled over and stretched he looked over at Lucy she was curled up next to him, he leaned across her and kissed her gently she was so beautiful and she looked so peaceful. He had held her as she sobbed herself to sleep she was stressing out over her brother being arrested and nothing he said seemed to ease her worries.

He slipped out of the bed careful not to wake her up and called his lawyer needing to know everything about what had happened between Joey and his father.

“So you’re telling me that he wants to hurt Lucy and that’s why Joey bottled him?” Danny asked.

Once his lawyer had gone over everything again, and informed Danny that Joey was in some serious trouble he went to break the bad news to Lucy. He walked into the bedroom and sat down on the bed, he watched her for a while savouring the relaxed look on her face before he watched her heart break with the news he was about to deliver.

“Lucy?” He whispered stroking her hair from her face and trailing gentle kisses across her cheek.

“Hmm,” she mumbled sleepily.

“We need to talk, it’s about Joey,” he informed her sitting up as she opened her eyes and pulled herself up.

“Oh god it’s not good is it?” She asked her voice wobbling.

Danny shook his head, he wasn’t going to lie to her, wasn’t going to fill her head with false hope. Why do that just to watch her fall when she discovered the truth, and as hard as the truth was going to be she needed to hear it.

“Your dad did provoke Joey he threatened to hurt you, but the police don’t believe Joey because he’d had a lot to drink and he’s looking at five years minimum for attempted murder.”

Lucy’s head seemed to spiral out of control, it felt like her skull was crushing her brain with what she was hearing. Danny obviously wasn’t one to sugar coat anything, he gave it to her as straight as possibly could have, and although she was thankful that he was so honest it didn’t make it any easier.

“Is there nothing that can be done?” She whispered.

Danny smiled at her, now she was going to be glad that he had friends in high places because of course there was something that could be done, but he would still go to prison. Danny was good, but he wasn’t that good but it wouldn’t be for five years.

“I can get your dad to change his story and admit that he provoked Joey then it will be a lesser charge, and I can get the judge to reduce the sentence,” he told her.

“And how do you propose to do that exactly?” She asked.

“Cara doesn’t underestimate me, I have my ways and that is all you need to know.”

With that he got up and walked towards the bedroom door, “Get dressed we are going to get the rings today.”

Lucy slumped back onto the bed, she had no choice but to trust that Danny would sort the whole Joey situation out but then a thought occurred to her they were still going through with the wedding while her brother was locked in some police cell somewhere. When she thought about it he had told her to go to Danny, so maybe that was him accepting their relationship, well that was what she was going to try and make herself believe had happened.

She got up and dressed quickly not wanting to make Danny wait he didn’t seem to be in a very patient mood. She walked into the kitchen and her eyes raked over his body. He was wearing dark blue Armani jeans that she was sure would make her wince if she knew the price, and a fitted pale blue shirt that was rolled up at the sleeves, he always managed to look so effortlessly impeccable no matter what he wore.