Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Lucy stood up and let go of Joey’s hand, “If you believed for a minute that i would ever divorce Danny and abort our baby then you must be more delusional than I thought!” she screamed.

As she went to storm for the room leaving a shocked Joey, the nurse came in, “Lucy a man just left this for you.” She told her giving her the letter.

Lucy sat down and opened the letter, the sound of something hitting the floor with a clink made her look down and her heart skipped a beat as she picked her husbands wedding ring up, she opened the letter up with shaky hands and read it.

Per la mia bella moglie (To My beautiful wife). I am so sorry for everything that I have put you through, I have been selfish and now i have realised it is too late. I heard you tell Joey you wanted a divorce and an abortion and as much as it pains me I will stand by any decision you make, the businesses are yours and the house, I am going to sign them over to you as you are reading this I will be with my lawyer making the necessary preparations. I just need you to know that I have never loved anyone the way that I love you, and I am sorry I was not the man I should have been. I love you with all of my heart, my heart will always be yours. Danny xx.’

Lucy felt sick when she read it again, it was all her fault if she hadn’t said those things to Joey, then Danny would never have overheard her and he would still be there. She wasn’t going to sit there and feel sorry for herself she was going to find that foolish husband of hers and fight for him.

“Lucy what is it?” Joey asked curiously.

“It’s none of your business that’s what, don’t ever speak to me again, you ruin everything!” she hissed walking out of the room.

She got her phone and called Danny and sighed with relief as he answered, “Danny it’s lucy.”

“I figured that when I saw your name cara,” he chuckled.

Although he had laughed, Lucy could tell he was sad, she loved him so much and it killed her to hear the pain in his voice when he spoke to her.

“I love you so much, please come and get me,” she sobbed.

Danny froze and had to sit down on the bed, he was in the process of packing his things, had even booked a flight to Italy to go and live with his nana.

“You don’t want a divorce?” he asked in shock.

“No if you had stuck around then you would know that was an argument that me and Joey were having, I told him that he was delusional if he thought I was going to divorce you and abort our baby.” She said, she smiled as she thought about their baby.

“I’m coming right now cara,” he told her with a big grin.

**

Lucy walked towards the main entrance but a twinge in her stomach made her wince, it was nothing too bad but she was scared that all the stress had harmed the baby and started to panic. She grabbed a nurse and told her and she took her straight into a doctor. She seemed to be waiting forever and the twinges were more often, her phone started to ring and she answered.

“Where are you Lucy? I’m at the main entrance,” Danny told her.

“Come to the maternity unit, I’m waiting to see a doctor, Danny I think something is wrong!” she told him bursting into tears.

He ended the call and ran up to the unit taking the stairs two at a time, he found the receptionist and she directed him to the room Lucy was in. When he got there the doctor was there and she was crying.

“No,” he whispered.

“Is this your husband?” The doctor asked Lucy.

She nodded her head, tears still streaming down her face, the doctor walked over to Danny and shook his hand, “Congratulations Mr Capardi, I hope you have the room for twins.” He said with a chuckle.

Danny nearly fainted when he said the word twins and he looked at Lucy who nodded, “Twins Danny, we’re having two,” she said in disbelief.

Dany had to sit down, “I’m not selling my car,” he told her suddenly.

Lucy started to laugh he was unbelievable, of all the things he could say it was about his car, him and that damned car. She shook her head at him, “You can keep your car.”

“That’s a relief, I would have sold one of the babies first,” he joked.

A nurse came in and chuckled at what Danny said, “I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that. You can go now Lucy, take it easy.”

Danny was fussing all the way to the car and it was already getting on her nerves, he opened the car door for her and then put her seatbelt on and she rolled her eyes.

“I can belt myself up thank you,” she laughed.

“Oh yeah sorry,” he said shutting the door and getting in his side, “Hey I was thinking, maybe we should fly out and she nana, me and Mama were planning on going she and papa are not talking.”

Lucy nodded, she needed a break after everything that had been happening and they hadn’t even had a honeymoon and at least it would give them time to relax without any interference.

As they pulled up to the house they were shocked to see it surrounded by police, “Oh shit.” Danny hissed.

“What have you done?” Lucy asked in shock.

“Nothing cara, it’s clearly a misunderstanding.” He told her as he parked the car.

They got out and walked up to where a police officer was standing in front of his house. The officers surrounded him when he got closer and pulled Lucy away.

“What’s going on?” he demanded when he saw them pulling Lucy away from him.

Two officers in suits walked over to him and nodded at each other, “Are you Danny Capardi?”

“You know I am!” he shouted angrily.

They held up an evidence bag with the gun that Jon had shot Joey with and showed it to him.

“What is this?” the one asked him.

“It’s a gun, I thought you of all people would know that.” he said sarcastically.

Both the officers laughed at him, “It’s got your fingerprints all over it and we’ve been matching up the bullets. Danny Capardi you are under arrest for wounding with intent and also for the possession of a firearm you do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not answer when questioned about something you later rely on in court.”

Lucy watched in horror as they arrested her husband and she managed to break free of the hold an officer had on her, “Wait he didn’t shoot anyone!”

“I’m sorry sweetheart but we have been told by Joey O’Connor that it was Danny that shot him, and besides the evidence gives us reason to believe that too.” He told her.

It took four officers to get Danny into the car as he flew into a rage at what he was hearing, that bastard had told them it was him that had shot him on purpose.

“Lucy get on the phone to my lawyer his number is in my office and call my mama tell her to find Jon!” he shouted.