Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Danny glanced around the room; his papa was dead there was no doubt about it, he hadn’t approached the body though he could not. He had to stop his mama from calling an ambulance; she did not seem to understand the consequences of her actions.

“Mama, I’m going to take you to my house. I will make it look like a break in.” He told her scanning the room once more.

His mama was leaning over his papa and crying hysterically, she had never held a gun in her life let alone used one and for the first time it was against her own husband. She was far too innocent to have ever been caught up with a man like Beppe Capardi, she had been a good catholic girl, she went to mass every week, she went to confession, but when he had sunk his claws into her it all stopped.

“Danny, I have committed a sin, I must be punished,” she told him wiping the tears from her face and standing up.

Danny saw her reach for the phone and he grabbed it before she could dial for the police, “Mama I need you, I’ve already lost Antonio I can’t lose you as well.” He told her.

Rosa slapped her son across his face, “You’ve also just lost your papa, at my hands!” she screamed.

“I don’t give a damn about him; he didn’t give a damn about us. He’s where he belongs!” he roared.

Rosa was taken aback by her sons anger, he was more like his papa than he knew, that temper was Beppe’s, it was that temper that she feared, it was that temper that would be the downfall of her son. She did not want to be around to see how he was going to turn into the man that she had despised for years, she had only stuck by him because he told her she would never see her son again, and foolishly, she had believed him.

“I need to be punished for my actions Danny,” she told him softly.

Danny laughed and shook his head, “You’ve already been punished, wasn’t living with the bastard for thirty years a punishment,” he said angrily.

“Do not speak ill of the dead Danny it is wrong!” she hissed.

Danny shook his head and walked towards the door, “Ok mama have it your way, phone the police tell them what you have done, go to jail, miss out on your grandchildren growing up.”

Rosa started to cry at her son’s harsh words, he was right she would miss out on them growing up, but it would be better for them, better than having a murderer for a grandmother. No, she was going to phone the police she was going to admit to what she had done, she was going to be held responsible for her actions.

“God damn it mama, I’ve killed men for less than what he has done!” Danny confessed.

Rosa backed away from her son in horror, she had always hoped the rumours were not true, but they were and it tore her heart apart. Her baby boy was a monster, just like his papa, and his children would be the same, they would end up hating him and poor Lucy would have years of suffering with Danny. She could not stand by and watch history repeat itself.

She shakily picked the gun up and pointed it towards her son, “I don’t know who you are anymore.” She sobbed.

Danny stepped back and held his own gun in his jacket as his mama held the gun in front of him, “What the hell are you doing!” he asked as she clicked the safety off.

“I’m doing this for you, for your wife, for your children.” She told him as tears streamed down her face.

Rosa cried harder as Danny’s eyes widened and he mouthed something to her, she could not make out was, but she did not care. She pressed her finger against the trigger, but collapsed before she could pull the trigger. Danny watched as his mama fell into a heap on the floor and then his eyes wandered upwards.

“I don’t fucking believe it, you can’t even die!” He hissed as his papa placed the bat down that he had just slammed into the back of Rosa’s head.

“I’ll accept that as a thank you I suppose.” Beppe said as he peeled away the shirt revealing a bulletproof vest, “I quite liked this shirt.”

Danny should have known his papa well enough by now, to know he would never leave himself so exposed, not even to his own family.

“It comes to something when your own wife tries to kill you, and then attempts to shoot our only son,” he said angrily looking at his unconscious wife. “I didn’t know she had it in her.”

Danny shook his head in disbelief; it had not been long ago that Beppe had pointed a gun at Danny with every intention of killing him.

“I wouldn’t have killed you, if that’s what you’re thinking; I was merely going to teach you a lesson.” Beppe explained as though he had read his son's mind.

Danny laughed darkly, “The sort of lesson where I lost the use of my legs no doubt,” he growled.

Beppe shrugged, seemingly unaffected by the events that had played out in his office. He watched Danny as he threw his hands up and tossed his weapon across the room, “I’m done with this shit.”

It was Beppe’s turn to laugh this time, no one told him when it was over, that was his decision and it was far from over. He had not worked hard to make a name for himself for Danny to come along and discover he had a heart and could not do what he was supposed to do.

“It’s over when I say it’s over,” he told Danny harshly.

Danny ripped open his shirt and exposed his tattooed chest to his papa, he pointed to his heart and nodded, “You’ll have to end it this way then, because I won’t become you,” he told him.