Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Lucy looked at the bouquet of flowers and sighed they were beautiful, and so over the top just like him. She wished he hadn’t been a Capardi because he was so perfect, he was gorgeous, funny, sweet, and caring, but of course, there had to be a flaw.

The fact was he was a psychopath or so she had been told, but he was right she couldn’t deny the attraction she felt for him, not that she was willing to admit that to him. There was something appealing about how dangerous he was that pulled her towards him when she should have been running and hiding.

“Sweetie the doctor says you can go home now, is there someone that can come and get you?” the nurse asked.

Lucy was in a daze and hadn’t even noticed when she walked in. She looked up at the plump woman, who was watching her with a kind smile.

“Your flowers are lovely, are they from that charming Italian gentleman?” she asked.

Lucy scoffed at her, “Don’t tell me you fell under his spell  as well?”

The nurse chuckled at her, “Oh you shouldn’t knock him he’s been ever so worried about you.”

Lucy didn’t bother to answer her, clearly Danny’s charms extended beyond her. The nurse helped her up out of the bed and she stood up shakily.

Joey walked back into the room and was leaning against the wall watching the nurse help her, he was about to go over when he spotted the flowers they hadn’t been there when he was there.

He walked over to them and picked the card up that was inside. He read it over but it still made no sense. It said, ‘Remember what I said about Judging people, you know where I am when you change your mind. D.’ What did that mean he wondered and who the hell was D.

“Who are your flowers from Luce?” Joey asked her suspiciously.

Lucy bit her lip, there was no way she was telling him. She hadn’t even decided what she was doing about Danny yet, so she definitely wasn’t telling him.

“I don’t know,” she mumbled, she grimaced at how that confession would have gone down.

The nurse looked at her in confusion but she could see Lucy was silently begging her not to say anything.

“They got brought in here by accident.” The nurse informed him.

Joey shrugged and picked Lucy’s bag up, “Come on then hon let's take you home.”

Lucy smiled at the nurse, thanking her for lying to Joey. He was going to have enough questions without him dissecting whom the flowers were from. She could see something was on his mind, but she just put it down to the fact that she had been in an accident.

“You’re lucky to be alive you know.” Joey told her as they walked to his car.

“I know and I’m sorry.” She whispered, she tried to imagine if it had been Joey instead of her and that thought alone made her stomach churn.

Joey opened the car door for her and put her bag in the boot of his car. When he got in, he turned to face her.

“I need you to ask Murphy for some more shifts, that bastard Capardi has put some more interest on.” He confessed.

Lucy’s eyes widened she was going to kill him, how could he be so thoughtless it had only been a few days ago that he was offering to squash the debt.

“I’ll call Murphy when I get home. “ she sighed, Murphy had always been good to her, so she knew he would help her out.

Joey nodded, “I’ve got a triple shift I’ll be away for a couple of days will you be ok?”