Tracing His Own Palm

Fun fact: This is the longest chapter in this story.

Also fun fact: I'm sorry in advance

________________

Every time the frame of the Fat Lady creaked as another Gryffindor entered the Common Room, Harry's skin crawled. But after an hour and a half without seeing a single strand of bright red or mousy brown hair, Harry let his fingers finally unclench. Seamus and Dean were squabbling over a long piece of parchment, arguing whether saying 'Maximum' twice will make the charm even bigger. Neville was chiming in random facts about Mandrakes and Horklumps as he put more logs into the fireplaces.

"Oh! Jus' try one on me, 'en," Seamus reasoned, sliding off the back of the couch to sit cross-legged in front of Dean, who cocked an eye before sighing.

Harry braced back, glad to be on a lounge chair rather than near the couch, especially as Dean articulated, "Tarantallegra Maximum!... Maximum!" and Seamus shot up onto the ceiling, limbs convulsing. Harry quickly pulled out his wand and chanted a reverse-charm, wincing back as Seamus' started falling. Dean was quick to scoop Seamus up however both ended up on the floor, groaning against their muscles.

"You know a Mandrake can survive falling up to twenty five metres!" Neville piped up, looking down at both Dean and Seamus with a smile on his face.

"Leave 'em alone, Longbottom," Harry chuffed, speaking for the first time that night. Nevilles smile got warmer with his words, eyes looking up at him with pride. "And I'm sure that's not true."

"I mean, I ain't seen anyone open that book but Neville, here," Dean reasoned with a shrug, pushing himself up off the floor.

"Piss off," Harry said lightly, poking out his tongue and managing a grin. His face felt odd as his tensity partially subsided, his eyes opening and closing slowly, his lips in a comfortable smile.

He didn't even jump as the Fat Lady creaked open again, letting in a wave of witches and wizards as he sat himself on the ground in front of the hearth with the other boys. Dean tapped him on the shoulder, and when Harry looked at Dean he was nodding over to the other side of the room. Dread started to churn deep in Harry's stomach, and when he followed Dean's gaze he was met with a pair of round brown eyes.

Somehow, even looking at Ginny's face riddled Harry with guilt, and even though he felt the urge to shoot up to the boy's dormitories or out the nearest window, he didn't do anything as she kneeled in front of him. "Hey, I need to tell you something," she said with a cheeky smile across her face. She looked a lot brighter than the last time he had seen her, making his stomach twist even more.

"A-alright," Harry mumbled, looking from her to the other boys who had already gone on, tackling on the floor. "What's up?" he asked, turning back to see Ginny who was now standing.

"No, no, come on. I need to show you something!" Ginny said with a twinkle in her eyes, extending her hand for Harry.

It was a simple gesture. Take or not take. Yet Harry's mind was exploding with an intergalactic pressure as he looked at her slender, pink tipped fingers. His thoughts cascaded over themselves, tumbling in his brain as each second went by. He was being awkward, unusual, but he couldn't quite build up the will to take her hand, his stomach squirming, mind darting all over the place.

Harry kicked himself in the butt and took hold of Ginny's hand. She pulled him up with a surprising amount of strength seeing as Harry didn't put any effort on his behalf. Ginny wrapped her arm around Harry's shoulders and kissed him on the temple. She was off before a pale faced Harry could wipe off his inappropriate sneer, up and out of the Fat Lady. He trailed a few paces behind her, scratching the back of his neck as they started to ascend the Owlery tower. The conundrum of skwarks bombarded them before they even entered the room. When inside, Ginny made a beeline towards a scrawny grey rag-looking owl.