35 - Connection

However tiring the constant journeys became, Toivo was glad to be on the move again. The energy of a decent night's sleep - in length, anyway - bounced in his paws, and his Shadow power hissed through his veins in a sheet of consistent adrenaline. The sight of Shadewylves flanking him on all sides only spurred him on further.

Harisah nudged his shoulder. Her gaze didn't settle on him, however; instead it roamed the forest, sparking with wonder at every new sound. "What sort of tree is that?" she murmured, lifting a paw to gesture at a broader tree than the rest of them, with wide leaves. Toivo smirked.

"That's an oak, I think. A deciduous tree," he added, the word falling onto his tongue at just the right moment. "They lose their leaves in winter." The number of times Lexi had explained the differences between the trees must have worked somehow.

Lexi. His smile sank.

"Woah." Harisah's tail lifted so high that it seemed to stick directly upright. She ducked under his gaze and offered him a sheepish look. "Hey, I've never been out this far. I've never seen these things. I'm finally out," she added softly, her eyes glimmering.

Forcing the joy in her eyes to enter his own, Toivo summoned another smile to his snout. He nudged her back. "Just wait until you reach the town. Oak trees everywhere."

She looked happier than she ever had before just then. In the short time he'd known her, anyway. As her gaze returned to its drifting state, Toivo gazed across at the rest of the Shadewylves, spotting similar expressions worn by other wolves. It felt strange to him that others would be amazed by such simple things, details of nature that he'd been taking for granted for moons, but he had to remind himself that very few of those he travelled with had ever ventured further than a few steps outside their cave.

The decision for Nefaris' best fighters to leave the cave had been taken surprisingly quickly. Most of them, Toivo certainly included, had still been recovering from the prison break when Montasir arrived to brief them all on what was to come. A move had been made by the opposition, and it was time to fight back. Jaser was to take them out to Borealton where they would stage a plan of attack.

The Wylfire were most likely feeling rather pleased with themselves right about now. The goal was to change that. To shatter their brief confidence and leave them afraid, ready for the Shadewylves to claim the town entirely.

And true fear could only be created through a fight.

Shivering despite the sun's warmth, Toivo shook out his fur. But he wasn't there yet. He was here, walking beside Harisah, taking one brisk step at a time. Worrying just left his heart to suffer.

Worry for what was to come, and what had already occured. He could change neither.

Harisah's shoulder brushed against his, and he felt her tense. Head snapping up, he met her eyes to see them sharp, their pale violet colour darkened. The same look he'd seen in her the night they'd watched together, when she'd hissed to him with scorning words about a certain wolf.

Following her gaze, he made out Lucifer's sparkling amber eyes, edging closer through the cloud of black. Thankfully, they were fixed on him rather than Harisah. He slid in front of her to keep it that way, and felt her warmth diminish behind him. When he turned around to check if she was okay, she was gone, dropped to another part of the crowd.

"Didn't see you there." The voice yanked Toivo forwards. He felt his own shoulders tense as Lucifer slid in beside him. "I bet you're great at hide and seek." His eyes sparked with a suggestion Toivo didn't quite pick up on. He took a guess at its meaning.

"I suppose it's quite hard when we all have black fur," he said, throwing a glance backward to search for Harisah.

Lucifer smirked. "Oh yes, insanely hard. Black wolves against green trees. They blend so well. Honestly, I can barely even find myself in this forest." A chuckle danced from his jaw, though it was met by no others. "No, I meant your little puppy height."