10 - Puzzle

From a young age, Lexi had learned that she liked puzzles. Whenever she sensed a hidden secret, or a strange happening, it thrilled her to piece together the various hints before surprising everyone with her usually-accurate conclusion. Many a time had she played that game with Thirty-Four, to the point where she was pretty sure he'd given up trying to hide things from her. It had taken practice, and some mysteries took weeks of time and effort. But she always got there. There wasn't a puzzle she couldn't solve.

Until now.

As Lexi stood there, staring at the strangest, most terrifying puzzle she'd ever come across, she didn't have a clue where to start.

The planet seemed to stop spinning in those few moments. Everything froze. Not a single wolf moved as Thirty-Four, the wolf they'd all thought as small and weak for all these moons, disappear into the shadows of an alley.

And then the chaos began.

A rough shoulder shoved into Lexi's side, sending her crashing painfully into the stone. Dazed, she watched as its owner - a burly Toxiwylf - shoved his way through the crowd, bolting as far from the plaza's stage as possible. He wasn't the only one. As Lexi lay on the ground, she saw dozens of wolves, who had been observing the ceremony with quiet appreciation, now trampling each other in their desperate attempt to flee. Shouts and cries filled the air. All calling the name of that Pelt. The Pelt that sent cold trickles of fear sliding over her fur, and a trembling horror that shook her paws uncontrollably.

The Pelt that her best friend now wore.

With no evidence as to why.

Soon, the plaza was nearly deserted. Only a few braver wolves stayed behind, but they were quickly ushered away by Flamewylves, all with the bright red Wylfire bands tied around their paws, or tails. As Lexi rose unsteadily, a dark orange she-wolf approached her.

"Go inside," she commanded, her voice strong despite the fear glittering in her eyes. "We're placing the town on lockdown until the creature is caught." Lexi nodded, trying not to wince at the words.

Her paws moved automatically towards the Thunderwylf labs, just behind her. The Flamewylf had probably meant that she should go home, but after sneaking out last night she wasn't sure she was ready for that yet. Besides, she wanted to stay close to that alley, despite her fear. If there was any possibility of getting Thirty-Four back, she would take it.

Thankfully, Storm was there, peering through the grimy window in her lab's door at the plaza. When she saw Lexi, she hurriedly flung it open and pulled her inside.

"What in Luna's name was that?" Storm hissed, her eyes flicking between terror and confusion.

Twitching her tail, Lexi shook her head dispairingly. "I don't know," she admitted.

They both watched from the window as some of the Wylfire marched through the streets, whilst a few others sprinted down the alley and towards the forest. Storm barked a laugh. "At least you don't have to make that poison anymore."

The poison. The other difficult problem. It seemed like nothing compared to...

Gasping, Lexi turned away from the window, her eyes widening as puzzle pieces suddenly slotted together in her mind. "It's linked. Maybe the Wylfire knew this would happen. That's why they asked me to make the poison." The cogs of her brain clicked into place as she paced the small room. "They wanted an easy way to eliminate..." Her voice trailed away as she stopped, the reality of her theory sinking in.

"They're going to kill Thirty-Four," Storm breathed. Nodding weakly, Lexi dug her claws into the floor, a new fear gripping her heart. This one wasn't a fear for herself.