22 - Escape

Angel couldn't tear her eyes away from Toivo's disappearing form. Only when he vanished into the gloom of the exit tunnel did she force herself to pull backwards, spinning to face the wall as the Shadewylf guard marched back towards her cell.

The metal between her claws was ice-cold, making her feel as if she'd inhaled frozen air. She set the object down, keeping her eyes fixed on it, trying to calm her pounding heart.

She couldn't deny her relief. The rays of amber and palest yellow streaking her fur represented a sunlight she craved to see for real once again. The sky was her domain, and to be kept from it for so long - probably around two days now - was bordering on torture. Escape had been something she clutched for even in her dreams, and the thought of rescue pricked up her sagging ears.

And yet this was exactly what she and Fiammetta had feared.

Not only was Toivo here, but the Wylfrost were too. They were walking right into the trap, and Angel now found herself in a crucial part of their plan.

She gazed at the wall. Maybe this was all pessimism, and it was the Shadewylves that were underestimating their opponents. Konrad was the most sensible wolf she knew, even in the few times she'd met him. The Icewylves he chose were skilled and determined. Success was more that possible.

Besides, there was no choice for Angel. She could hardly set this tool aside when Toivo had risked so much to bring it to her, just for the simple reason his plan might not work. She had to try.

Lifting the tool in her teeth again, she shifted over to the wall and began to dig.

The sharp point slid deep into the rock with ease, as if it were soft clay rather than freezing stone. The scraping sound and dull thud she should have heard was absent. The wrongness of it all made her skin crawl, but she gritted her teeth and pulled the tool back. Much to her surprise, instead of a chunk of stone falling away from the wall, the rock merely parted to make way for a shallow hole.

This was one strong enchantment.

But she couldn't allow herself to admire the magic's work. Her pricked ears alerted her of the approaching guard. Lying down carefully, she spread out her wing to cover the hole.

Acting a downcast expression when the guard's eyes brushed over her wasn't difficult. This cave had a special talent for inducing a sinking solemnity in every grey curve. As soon as it was safe however, a smile quickly leapt up to replace it.

I'm getting out of here, she promised herself. They were all going to get out. She had to have faith in that.

Now she thought about it, she remembered Thea casting this enchantment, with Katana's guidance. The tool didn't just cut through rock. It spoke to the stone, coaxed it to move however it wanted.

Her snout twitched in amusement at the memory. Katana and Thea had argued for ages about exactly how it should work; a clashing of earth and magic. Eventually they'd managed to do it together - mostly Thea's way, though she'd been too tired to brag about it afterwards.

Her gaze darted to her left, where she knew Katana was curled, her scars pinning her down. How could things have gone so badly?

This is what we've been preparing for, her mind scolded, traces of Dawn's tone lingering within. You should have expected this. Now get up and start fighting back.

Scrambling to her paws again, she widened the tunnel with a hurried stroke, then leaned in to send it carving deep into the wall. Before the guard's pawsteps could begin thumping back in her cell's direction, she was sliding into her hole, her tail flicking out to knock over the lamp as she did so. The glass shattered, finally giving Angel's ears the crash they awaited, and the flame went out, darkening her cell.