15 - Canopy

Note: This chapter has been posted over the original prologue. If you see comments that don't relate to this chapter's content, that's why. All of these comments have been very much appreciated, and suggestions noted, even if the prologue is no longer a part of this book.

If you wish to read it, you can find this prologue in the first alcove of The Wolf Cave.

~ ~ ~

It wasn't often Angel was right. Of all the times she and Dawn had verbally sparred, she could recall only one - or maybe two - occurances when she had turned out to be right. Even if Dawn won the argument anyway.

Yet the pride at having proved the Mystwylf wrong was entriely overshadowed by the chilling fear that came with Briar's howl.

The sound hadn't yet cut out when they started emerging from the trees. Slices of darkness, armed with fangs that glinted silver in the ever-increasing light.

There had to be at least a dozen. Or maybe their fearsome nature was making them seem to double in number.

At least in the prison cave, they had already been enclosed in a place of fear. But here, out in the familiar daylit forest, the Shadewylves felt all the more fearsome.

She barely noticed the click as Briar softly closed his door, slinking away from the oncoming battle. Her anger at him could wait. Instead, her gaze drifted to Dawn as they stared at each other, both sharing the same debate. To fight, or to run.

Fiammetta made the decision before they could.

With a cry, she leapt forwards, tackling the nearest black wolf. Much to her shock, they squirmed away from her attack, slipping out from between her claws and slinking behind another, larger Shadewylf. Their leader. Rolling to her paws, Fiammetta prowled towards him.

Thea immediately shot to flank her, and Angel bounded over to do the same. Somewhere behind, Dawn would be falling into her best hunter's crouch, but Angel knew the uncertainty she must be feeling. Wise as she was, the Mystwylf wasn't a fighter.

Together, they glared up at their opposition. Angel tried not to flinch at the sight of his blood-red eyes, all too familiar.

"Ah, the mighty Twilytra," he greeted them, bright eyes dancing with red sparks. "So nice to finally meet you." Gaze drifting to Angel, he chuckled. "Though we've already met."

"And you'll pay for it," she growled back, flashing her fangs. The memory of Katana's bloodied form was enough to bring fury surging to the surface. Not letting her eyes flick to the other wolves closing in, she focused her glare on his confidently tilting snout.

"How do you know about us?" Thea added, a similar emotion lacing her words.

"You haven't noticed?" He laughed again. "It seems our spies are as skillful as ever."

Angel's fur prickled, sensing the advancing wolves at either side. The empty space at their backs was a futile escape route - any one of these wolves would be upon her before she could even fully turn in the opposite direction. The same was true of the sky. One flick of her wing, and they'd pounce.

But she only shook her head and hardened her gaze, fixing the red-eyed Shadewylf with a ferocious glare. The fear could be shoved away, deep down, where no wolf would ever see it - or, more to the point, take advantage of it.

"Oh, shut it," Fiammetta snapped. "You have no spies but Briar." Tiny flames were beginning to break through her bronze fur, bursting out in sparks of amber and orange and glowing with heated anger. She took a step forward and held her snout up, not even a claw's length from the Shadewylf's nose. "Now get out of here before I shred your throat to nothing."