23.2 - Beating

Lexi's hesitation lasted barely a second. All it took was another flashback of Icewylves locked in combat with Shadewylves, and she was racing in the opposite direction, curving in front of the labs to enter the plaza. This wasn't going to be a fight she would run from.

The shock at the sight before her sent her staggering to a halt once more.

A crowd, larger than the groups that usually milled around here, had gathered beside the Chroma Pool. Most of them were Flamewylves, but a couple of Toxiwylves and an Airewylf were also lingering nearby, as well as the Seawylf buried right in the midst of the crowd. One Lexi could notice by a mere glance at the pearls that adorned his head, twisting around his ears and jutting upwards to form a crown.

King Dimi. Not only the ruler of the Seawylves, but her best friend's wonderful uncle. Lightning hissed in Lexi's chest, seething with an anger built up over many moons.

Even from across the plaza, Dimi's voice boomed loud and clear. "What did you think, that we'd prop you up all your life?"

There was the thumping sound of a kick, and a responding yelp as the strike met its target.

Creeping closer, Lexi peered between the maze of orange paws, trying to make out the wolf in the centre of their mob. She realised now that this wasn't a fair and simple battle like the ones she'd encountered over the last few days. This felt more like a beating - a group of laughing Flamewylves toying with a wolf who was defenceless to stop them.

Lexi's pace increased as she tried to find a gap in their throng. Whoever their victim was, the desire to help them burned bright in her heart.

"Try begging us for help now," Dimi added with a sneer.

The wolf beside him lifted her head enough for Lexi to briefly catch a glimpse of her. Her presence made sense - she was Ventura, Dimi's partner and a senior member within the Wylfire. "I always knew you were too soft, too weak," she snarled, and fire burst from the tip of her snout, spreading and curling behind her ears, creating a flaming mask. "I kept hoping you'd prove me otherwise. I know now that I was stupid to hope." The final word was punctuated by another yelp.

Pieces slotted together in Lexi's mind. Dashing further around the crowd, she bent down, managing to find a gap. She realised who he was seconds before she saw him.

A familiar wolf was lying on his back, hemmed in by shifting paws. He was bigger than her, but still considerably smaller than most of the wolves prowling around him. His fur shone with a brilliant orange, though it was darkened by Ventura's shadow as she moved over him, her snout almost touching his.

"I expect better from my son, Damon," she hissed.

Her claws whipped out, lightly pressing against his side and slicing down, enough to create a pair of scarlet lines tracing his flank. He whimpered, his eyes wide and glistening, and Lexi made her decision before she even had time to consider it.

"Stop it!" she shouted.

Ventura paused, her claws hovering above Damon's snout. Her eyes shot up, locking onto Lexi, and the rest of the Flamewylves followed suit, until there were nearly a dozen gazes fixed on her golden fur. Swallowing her fear, she jutted her snout up, trying her best to mimic Konrad's confident movements.

"Stop it," she said again, forcing authority into her tone. "Leave him alone."

Opening her snout, Ventura made to object, her fire blazing with her fury, but another voice dived in to stop her. One of the Flamewylves broke from the group, his coral-orange fur slightly more ruffled than usual. "Lexi?" he breathed, pacing cautiously towards her. "We thought you were..."