19 - Hunters

A long journey was the last thing Lexi desired.

Even with her belly full and muscles rested, it didn't take long for leaden exhaustion to begin pressing at her limbs once more. The bandage at her shoulder could only do so much to dull the stabbing pain. All she wanted to do was curl up and sleep - preferably for a couple of days straight - and just accept the fact that this morning, along with last night's interruptions, had sucked all the energy out of her.

Yet every time those thoughts began to infiltrate her mind and slow her step, it only took one glance at Toivo to chase them away. He moved with a consistent stride, his pace never changing, save from one instant not long after they left Dawn when he slowed to walk in time with her. Determination narrowed his gaze, never faultering.

She'd never seen him so sure of himself. It was only in that moment when he'd spoken to Dawn about how they needed to rescue the others had she first noticed it. There was something new there now, something stronger, and she still wasn't entirely sure whether she liked it.

On the one paw, here was her best friend, who'd been desperate for power his whole life and now finally had been gifted it. Her best friend who now had the strength to push forward a heroism that had always been there but had never been allowed to shine before, dulled by the grey of his former coat.

But on the other... here was a Shadewylf. A wolf who could hunt deer with ease and never seemed to tire. A wolf who had new power, dark power that was something of a mystery to her. Perhaps a wolf different to the wolf she'd grown up with.

Time and time again, she dismissed the latter way of thinking. It was stupidly paranoid. It made her no better than the Wylfire who wanted to kill him for what he was, or the Shadewylves they ran from. Every time it rose again, bringing a fresh shiver along with it.

When the sun reached a point that made its sharp rays cut through the highest branches of the trees, Toivo finally suggested they rest for a moment. She took up the suggestion gladly and together they huddled in a cluster of tight branches, hidden from view should any hostile wolf find them here.

Toivo nudged her side. "You doing ok?"

She nodded, leaning into him. "Yeah. Just tired, that's all. Hope we can find somewhere cozy to sleep tonight."

His tail curled around her, and she let his familiar warmth slide her eyes shut. "We will," he whispered, from somewhere close. "You're more important. We can stay here and sleep, if you want?"

Slitting her eyes open, she shook her head slowly. "We need to make the most of the daylight. I don't exactly know how Shadow power works, but I'm sure it's stronger at night. Even if not..."

"They have the colour advantage," Toivo finished with a sigh. He stared up at the tree branches for a moment, then snapped his head back down, blue eyes wide with excitement. "Hey, what if you rolled in some mud? It would be a great disguise!"

Lexi burst out laughing. His slightly hurt expression made her giggle even more. "I'm serious," he protested.

Letting her laughter fade away, she slapped his flank gently. "That wouldn't work, Toivo. If we could even find some earth wet enough in this dry season, the gold would still be really obvious. Besides, me looking like an Earthwylf won't help much."

He bowed his head. "Alright." It was only when she looked more closely that she saw the spark of sapphire amusement in his eyes. "I hate it when you logic away my ideas."

"You like it really," she said, a chuckle still hanging off the words. Though he didn't say anything, as she leaned closer into his thick fur, she could sense the vibrations as his own silent laughter shook his chest.